Monday, August 12, 2013

Senior Week - Practice

Monday was pretty good. Not a productive missionary day but a very productive preparation day. This week is my 13th week here in Korea. Since completing my "greenie" period of 12 weeks, we are celebrating with a senior week! That means that this week I am taking lead in
everything! I am supposed to lead lessons, making final decisions, and I am in charge of the companionship cell phone. If you'd like to oooo and ahhh, now would be the time. I feel a lot of responsibility but I'm excited. Anyway, PDAY consisted of a zone activity at our church. People played this card game called Bang- I hate it, others played 바둑 which is a complicated board game; everyone else ate ice cream, played ping pong, and socialized. I spent most of my time talking to Elder Schofield and Haffin while they played 바둑. They are so funny. The last hour of PDAY was spend looking at all 1,000,000 pictures that my district leader, Elder Kim had on his camera. I was mostly bored as he told me about every single one, but he was super excited to share. When it was time to leave he said, "I have three more memory cards at home! I'll bring them next time!" Yay and stuff.... Haha I love him though. Awesome missionary, district leader, and best second mission "step father" I could ask for.

Once everyone was leaving the chapel, of course the blueish skies changed to a shade of gray and where accompanied by a torrential downpour. Even though we all had umbrellas, my companions and I were soaked when we got home. We quickly changed and were about to start our missionary work when the AP's called. MLC (missionary leadership conference) was scheduled for tomorrow and they were curious if our companionship were planning to sleep at the 본부 (mission home). We weren't planning on it but I told them we could plan on it haha. With the sudden change of plans we had to pack our bags and make our way to
the subway station. We hadn't eaten dinner yet so right as we decided to grab something, we saw a Subway restaurant... 윤 자매님 (Sister Yoon) was pretty amused at the idea of eating Subway on the subway, so we grabbed a few sandwiches and boarded the first line. Somehow we met up with our Zone Leaders, Elder Keetch and Chow. Between talking to them and 전도ing (proselyting), the ride to the 본부 (mission home) went by super quick.

Upon arrival, we talked to the AP's and office missionaries for a little before heading up to see President and Sister Morrise. They are so awesome. Once we knocked on the mission home door, we were quickly welcomed in. We all talked for over an hour before getting ready for bed. Both President and Sister Morrise have such awesome insights and give such great advice. I am so grateful for the opportunity to work with them. I love them!

Tuesday morning was weird to go about our normal routine in a different house. But I'm not complaining because we had AC, couches, and a kitchen full of food. As Sister Kim and I dropped Sister Yoon off at her meeting, we left to have companionship study. From the looks of it- it seemed as if we would be talking to people on the streets of Seoul....allllll day. Normally, I dread these kinds of days especially thinking about the insane heat and humidity outside, but surprisingly I was excited to get out and have a productive day. So...we grabbed a handful of pamphlets, a stack of Books of Mormon, a couple umbrellas and hand fans- we were more than ready to tackle the day haha. As we walked out of the house, we set a goal to talk to 30 people before lunch time (60 minutes). With that goal in mind we folded our arms and Sister Kim offered a prayer for help to know who we should talk to and what we should say. We had some pretty awesome conversations! I really don't feel like I have a handle on the Korean language yet but still I was able to talk and understand a majority of the conversations we had. Pretty awesome! When the time came to head back to the 반부 (mission home) we stopped to talk to one last person. This girl looked about 16. I introduced us as missionaries and asked her if she had ever seen missionaries like us before- she said no. I went on to tell her that we are introducing a book called The Book of Mormon. After I said that she quickly responded in perfect English, "I've never heard of that book before." I was shocked. I lost my train of thought and said, "Woah! Your English is amazing, where did you learn?" She laughed, said briefly said, "School" then quickly changed the subject back to the book I was holding in my hand haha. I proceeded to testify that it was the word of God. I told her that I have read and prayed about it, and because I did that I know it is true. I offered her one and she happily took it. She told me that she doesn't have religious background and really wants to come to know God- so she really wants to read this book. I smiled and showed her the introductions where the prophet Moroni makes everyone a promise. I taught her that that promise is that if she reads and sincerely prays to know if it is true, then God will answer her. I felt prompted to ask her if she knew how to pray. She said no and asked me to teach her. And right there on the street I talked to this girl and taught her how to pray to her Father in Heaven to begin building her relationship with God. It was so cool!!

After lunch the rain was coming down pretty hard so we decided to stay inside and complete the rest of our studies until the rain let up. It only took about an hour for the rain to stop and the sky to lighten back up. When it did, that meant it was time to get back to work. As we left we set a goal to talk to 40 people until dinner time. To solidify our goal, I offered a prayer. As I prayed, the loudest crack of thunder sounded in the distance so as my prayer came to an end I mad sure to ask for help in staying safe and dry. 김 자매님 (Sister Kim) laughed- but I was totally serious. Luckily the skies cleared once again and we had a lot of success. Guess how many Books of Mormon I handed out? 12! Guess how many people we talked to by the end of the day? 63! I know I didn't do it alone. ^^ It was an awesome day.

Wednesday was an okay day. The zone leaders put me in charge of organizing lunch for the Combined District meeting. It was difficult coordinating a catering order in Korean but I managed and got a good deal. When everyone arrived, we ate and socialized. Most people were impressed with the organization and all the thought put into the meeting- it was pretty great if I can say so myself haha. Anyway, not too much to report from the training. It mostly focused on the Book of Mormon and how to better talk to people on the street. President Morrise is more concerned about people having a good image of our church than a flyer or pamphlet in-hand after we are done talking to them. The zone leaders were in charge of relaying the information. Even though they were brief in their explanation, it sounds like a much better approach, in my opinion. I honestly think that this way of proselyting will be more natural and effective. Too many churches or salesmen are pushy which just so happens to drive more people away- sooo we don't want to be seen as such! President is a genius.

The day went about like normal until English class. Once a month we do a "Special English Class" and that was today. There were so many people! It was awesome! Again, I was in charge of the kids. They are crazy but it was a good time. For one game I wrote different nouns on balloons- the point of the game was to find a balloon with a noun that fell under the a category of 'hot,' 'cold,' or 'fun' depending on whatever I decided. I would yell the category and the kids would start running around and stomping on as many balloons as they could. It was hilarious- especially because everyone had a partner that was tied to their ankle, like a three-legged race haha. After, all the classes came together for a spiritual thought and a bunch of food. It was a great way to end the day.

Thursday morning there interviews scheduled with our mission president, President Morrise. There was a miscommunication about which chapel we were supposed to go to... Soo instead of being early like my companions and I had planned for, we ended up being an hour late. Due to our tardiness we were interviewed 3 hours late... That was a bummer because we had to reschedule an appointment with an investigator that we haven't seen in 3 weeks! It was sad but on the bright side, my interview with president lasted almost an hour haha. He is such an awesome guy, I really respect him. Every time I talk to him I can really feel how much love he has for me as well as every other missionary in the 소울 남 (Seoul South) mission.

The day proceeded with a couple of appointments where we brought a Young Woman from the ward. She studies in America, but is here visiting family while she is on vacation. Having attended SMYC, she was really eager to come and teach with us. The first appointment was with the son and mother investigators. It was a great lesson! They continue to progress by praying about and reading from the Book of Mormon. This time in particular the mother had a lot of questions about the timeline of the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I drew a pretty awesome diagram to help clarify. I also explained the significance and need for the Book of Mormon. She understood really well! I felt pretty great for being able to teach her. The last appointment was with 김장원S. Since she is leaving for America to study, this was our last appointment with her. It was a powerful meeting were we answered many remaining questions she had and we each bore testimony of what we have taught her over the past few months. The investigator's testimony was so sweet. She thanked us for all of our time, all that we've taught her, and especially our loving hearts. So sweet! I am going to miss her! Be good to her Riverside, California~

Friday started pretty normal. We completed our studies and had our weekly planning session. In the afternoon, we met up an another Young Woman and the elders for a 전도 (proselyting) activity. There is a local park that is ideal for talking to families called Metopolas- once there we showed the Young Woman how to talk to people. She was scared and very shy but did a great job. When the time came to say goodbye to the elders and head to our only appointment for the day, she told us that she was realizing how hard missionary work really is. I felt bad because I don't want these girls to spend a day with us and instead of being excited about missionary work, being scared off. I couldn't argue because it is hard however, the rewards that eventually come, more than outweigh the hard times. Anyway, the appointment was with a boy, 이상훈B and his mother who is really pushing him to learn English. By the end of our meeting I had explained the English program and guess what?! They are our two newest investigators! That was worth celebrating, so before we all hopped on the bus to call it a day, we ate 팥빙수 together!

Saturday was about the day I wanted to die. I have no idea what the exact temperature was but to give you an idea of how hot it is nowadays.. While I was trying to get dressed in the morning I had three fans blowing full-blast directly on me, an icepack balanced on my head and another on back of my neck... and yet I was still sweating. How's that for a fun morning?

Thankfully it was a little cooler outside, so when we left the house the walk wasn't too brutal. We made our way to the chapel to help supervise the primary activity. Since it has been so hot, they set up three pools in the parking lot for the kids to play in. Unfortunately, the weather switched to pouring rain. But that didn't stop us from having fun. Before arriving, I didn't anticipate getting very wet, but the kids had a different plan haha. As soon as the water guns came out, it took exactly 60 seconds for everyone to be soaked. Somehow it evolved to me throwing all the kids in the water after chasing and catching them. It was so much fun. I even soaked the leaders by picking them up and dragging them into the pools haha. The kids kept calling me a monster and Hercules... Haven't decided which one I like better. ^^ This ward is so awesome!! I never want to be transferred.

When the activity ended, my companions and I rode the bus home looking like a bunch of idiots- soaking wet for what appeared to be no reason because the rain had let up almost 2 hours before haha. Once we were decent again, we head back to the church for the Young Women's activity. The girls promised to bring friends for us to talk to (called referrals) so we went and made 팥빙수 (shaved ice-delicious-goodness) together. It was fun and delicious. Before we head home, 김 장로님 (Elder Kim) grabbed us and told us we needed to practice to sing a song in church tomorrow. We decided on the hymn, "Where Can I Turn for Peace?". I love that song! After about 20 times through, we called it a night and told everyone to pray for the ability to channel their inner Celine Dion haha.

Sunday was great! It was a special Sunday because President and Sister Morrise were coming to speak in our ward. They are both awesome speakers! I really really love them. They always teach me so much every time I listen to them or talk with them. Such inspired people. Looking back at all the meetings, the luncheon, and all the socializing- it was a great day. Once my companions and I saw most people off, we head home to finish our studies for the day. I focused all my language study time on memorizing and reciting Joseph Smith's first vision found in Joseph Smith History 1:16-17. The hour spent, paid off because I then recited it to my companions and totally nailed it! This coming week I am planning to start teaching my district and and zone leaders for practice and to receive feed back in order to improve my teaching ability. Wish me luck!!

The evening ended with a delicious 식사 (meal appointment) at the second counselor of the bishopric and relief society president's house. Not much else to say but that I love kimchee, rice, and chicken haha.

This morning during companionship study, It was sad to hand back the phone and all of the responsibilty back to 윤 자매님 (Sister Yoon). She told me that she enjoyed being a junior companion again and asked if I would be senior for another week. HOORAY!! Stay tuned for Senior week continued... ^^

XO
I love you all. 사랑해요! Have a great week. ^^
Sister Kim, an investigator.  We met with her for the last time (8/8/13).  She is leaving to study at UC Riverside for the next few years.  Love her!

Splits with the Young Women

Primary Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment