Monday, October 21, 2013

I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home


10/14-20
Monday was literally the best PDAY to date! As I was preparing to leave the house in the morning, Sister Han stopped me to point out the song she heard me humming- the Primary song, "I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home." I laughed and quickly progressed from a quiet hum to a loud solo. She laughed and rolled her eyes. It was very fitting, because not even an hour after emailing home, my companion and I were on a bus to Suwon Station to greet my father! He was traveling for work and was taking a day to spend with me ^^ isn't he the best?! Once we arrived at the correct bus stop, I saw my father waiting on the curb of a bus platform. As soon as I spotted him, I picking up the pace of my walk. I had to keep looking back to make sure my companion was close by. She was keeping up so I began to walk as fast as I could. When I reached the bus platform, I wasn't able dodge the crowd as fast as I would have liked, so I decided to step to the side where no one was standing Amongst the crowd, I spotted someone else that looked very familiar. I squinted my eyes and sure enough, that was red hair in the distance!! My Olympic speed-walking pace immediately evolved to a full out sprint! My sneaky mother was trying to hide to surprise me! I ran into her and gave her the biggest hug I could. I did the same with my father! I cannot express in words how happy I was in the moment. I felt my eyes welling up but I had to shake the tears in order to see BOTH of my parents clearly.

Soon we greeted Sisters Yoon and Goodnough then were off to eat lunch all together. Sister Yoon and I may or may not have chosen a restaurant that was a ways away. After about a 40ish ;) minute bus ride, we arrived. When we got off the bus we waited for my dear friend, 서은영 (Sister Soh) to arrive [for those unfamiliar with Sister Soh, she is the investigator that has often been referred to as "The Atheist". When we were all accounted for and aquatinted, we started our walk to the restaurant. 서은영 (Sister Soh) wasted no time punching my arm expressing her frustration of me not informing her of my mothers attendance. I defensively said, "I didn't know either!!" haha. Thankfully she forgave me and she led us to a nice traditional restaurant that she recommended we try. After a lot of food (including raw cow...) we were full but still had room for dessert- or at least I did. As 서은영 (Sister Soh) scouted out a good cafe for us to eat, I was able to walk my parents through the beautiful park of Metopolas that I have come to love. Once at the cafe we ordered way too much 팥빙수 (red bean shaved ice) but that just meant we had more time to talk.

When we finally felt like we should start heading back, we all walked slowly to the bus stop. 서은영 (Sister Soh) was so sweet to wait and see us off. Of all the people I have met here in Korea, I have come to really love this woman. She has been a blessing to my life and I will forever be grateful. I was also grateful for the opportunity to share such a special experience with her and introduce my parents to Sister Soh. It was an excellent day.

On our way to drop my parents off at their bus stop, we took a quick detour to the 곡반정 church (my first area). There I showed my parents the building and was able to receive a special fathers blessing in the chapel. All day I was holding back tears of happiness, but at that moment when I closed my eyes for the blessing, streams of tears poured down my cheeks. It was a beautiful blessing and immediately after, I hugged my father tightly because I knew our time together was coming to an end. My mother and I went straight to the bathroom to clean our sorry-selfs up from our tears haha. Then we were all on our way. Sister Yoon and Goodnough saw us off at the bus stop, it was a quick goodbye because our bus arrived faster than I anticipated but all was well. I was happy that I chose the bus I did because it made its way back to Suwon Station in a very round about way. I had a little extra time to talk to my parents and tell them all about what I have been up to these last five and a half months in Korea. When the time finally came to drop them at their bus (Red-3000), it was coming up on 4PM hehe. I gave them both hugs then waved as Sister Han and I walked away.

With only a couple hours left of PDAY, we walked into the Station where a big bookstore was located. I wandered as my companion searched for the best book to improve her English.  I think the conversations I had with my parents discouraged her from feeling confident with her English ability. :( When we finished we walked to our bus stop and I spotted my parents still waiting for theirs. Concerned, I looked around and sure enough their bus was waiting at a different platform. Sister Han and I quickly went to tell them but as we raced down the stairs I heard their voices. Probably at the same time I figured it out, so did they. I didn't mind having another opportunity to hug them and tell them I loved them though. I was sad to walk away but was too happy to cry again. It was a perfect end to a perfect day.

Tuesday was a typhoony day. The weather did a 180 and turned from clear, sunny skies to windy, rainy, and cold. It was hard to be outside walking to our appointments but somehow Sister Han and I survived. The only noteworthy part of the day was the opportunity our zone had to have interviews with President Morrise (pronounced Maurice). I love having time to talk with him, he is literally the best mission president for me! Before he opened things up for questions or concerns, he had to say something before he forgot. He proceeded to tell me how happy he was with all the work I have been doing. He told me that when he first felt impressed to pair me up with Sister Han, he wasn't too certain that that was a good fit. Now he knows that it really was inspired because we have seen loads of miracles and success together. He also made sure to tell me that I am one of his missionaries that he simply doesn't worry about; instead, he has full confidence in me and just feels good whenever he thinks about me. Hello confidence boost! It felt good hearing that from a man whom I respect so much! President Morrise is the best!

Wednesday was busy! First we had our normal district meeting. It was Elder Breckwoldt's first training in the district so I was excited but it was pretty dry. Most everyone was falling asleep as he went on and on about all the appointments he had at the beginning of the week. It was pretty unrelated so Elder Jenson and I decided to have our own little pow-wow because I had loads of questions about my struggling investigators. Elder Jenson is only 6 months ahead of me but he is a spectacular missionary! His advice and recommendations were perfect. I was grateful to have at least gotten something out of the "training" meeting.

Directly after the meeting, Sister Han and I had to rush to an appointment. This lady, 조은선 (Sister Cho) is interesting. Her and her friend are investigating many churches to find which has the truth. Lucky her for finding us ;) just kidding. She is very genuine but hard to teach because she is so skeptical. My companion and I did our best to answer her questions but she told us that we should call her when we have studied more haha. It wasn't quite as blunt or rude as it sounds but you get the point. Next was an appointment with a high schooler, 이도경 (Sister Lee) whom we haven't been able to meet for a few months now. High school students are literally tortured here with the long school hours and incredible competition against each other. This poor girl was so stressed about her last college interview this Saturday. She is hoping to become a flight attendant for Korean Air so for her last interview she is expected to read the whole airline safety intro that is recited on every flight in perfect English. We ran out of time to share our lesson but I felt okay about helping her perfect the script and ease her stress. We literally had to run to English class. The class went well- I am so proud of my students they are brilliant! At the end when we all came back together, Sister Han and I shared the spiritual thought. I read a passage from The Family: A Proclamation to the World and bore testimony of the power and importance of the family. It was awesome. My Korean skills really aren't anywhere close where I want them to be but I was pleased with mine and my companions message delivery.

Thursday was productive but uneventful. In preparation for a Halloween party that all the missionaries from the stake were asked to organized, Sister Han and I had a list of things to buy. After a few hours we were done and then spent our evening finding less-active members again. It took a long time but we were able to confirm a few bad addresses. By that time we were starving.  Fortunately, it was time for a dinner appointment. A member (박삼곤) in our ward owns a small street restaurant and another member (이형구) likes to buy the missionaries food. Combine those two and BOOM, 식사 (meal appointment). It was delicious but there was a new missionary, Elder Gamble that was having trouble stomaching some of the fish and pig intestine. He barely kept the food down.  Poor kid.  I'm not going to say I love that stuff either but I will say that it is a blessing that it doesn't bother me to eat it. Anyway, we had a good time talking with and joking around with they members. They taught us Americans some useful/ funny Korean idioms, then we were off to make it home by 9.. Okay maybe we left at 9.. But anyway we got home safely hehe.

Friday was a good day. It began with weekly planning. Soon it came time to meet up with Sister Yoon and Goodnough for a split!! Once I was with my favorite companion in my favorite area! ^^ Most of the day we spent our time talking to people on the street. Lately I have been apprehensive and too nervous to start an awkward conversation but for some reason today, I had no fear. I think it was because I was with my trusty sidekick ;) we are such a good pair! Anyway, when dinner time came around we had an appointment at a nearby restaurant with an investigator that Sister Yoon and I found a few months earlier. Since Sister Yoon is preparing to complete her mission in less than 3 weeks... Let me repeat THREE WEEKS! this kind lady is trying to make her last few weeks special. It was a very nice meal and fun too. She brought her 6 year old son and he and I spent the better part of the meal making faces and trying the weird concoctions he was making haha. I really enjoyed myself.

Saturday was an eventful day! Since I was on a split with Sister Yoon still, I was yet again given an opportunity to see and spend time with 서은영 (Sister Soh). We met her at a walking festival that was raising money for the poor people living in Suwon. By the time we signed up, got our shirts, and met up with her sister's family... the walk we signed up for was over haha. We didn't mind though because we were having more fun socializing. She jokingly said, "There is no point of transferring or saying goodbye, you're never leaving!" I laughed pretty hard but it's true. I've seen her every single time I've had the opportunity. I love her!

Since we had a few hours and a whole festival around us, we decided to explore. We came across one booth where you could have your blood drawn and within ten minutes they would tell you the results and levels of your blood. Since I am not certain of my blood type, 서은영 insisted that I find out. All three of us had our blood tested. When my evaluation came, there was a problem. They pointed out that there was a problem with my liver (my ALT and AST levels were more than double what they should be). 서은영 asked the doctor a million questions and quickly concluded that she needed to take me to the hospital to have it tested again. She pulled every string she could to get me in the front of the line and with the best doctor. It was quite an ordeal but I'll get the results back next Tuesday. To be honest, I was not very concerned but everyones reactions were kind of freaking me out. Despite the added stress I now had to deal with, I was very grateful to have such a caring friend doing all she could to make sure I was okay. 서은영 said, "You're family is just full of surprises!" (Referring to the surprise of my mother joining my father on his business trip to Korea a few days prior) haha.

After leaving the hospital, 서은영 (Sister Soh) wanted to calm everyone down so we found a small restaurant to have a delicious lunch together. There, I swapped card tricks with her son (Phillip) until the food came. We had to leave for an appointment soon after eating. It was a nice lunch. She saw us off and gave us both big hugs (not common in Korean culture). I hope this wasn't the last time meeting but if it was, I am very grateful for her and all that she does for me!

When it was time to unsplit, we met at the stake center for a service project and a stake Women's Conference. It was a lot of fun. The conference was on the boring side for me because I wasn't able to understand much of what was being said, but I did sit next to Sister Yoon and she translated every funny story told- sparing me the dry moments haha. She's the best!

Sunday was a great Sunday!  Before church, Sister Han and I have been trying hard to work with the leadership of the ward. I know they are busy but it is like pulling teeth trying to talk with them about different things we need their help with. Today was a miracle day because we were able to have every meeting that we needed. AND after the meeting I received a text from a member saying that we had an investigator waiting in the chapel. If that wasn't exciting enough, when Sister Han and I came to greet them guess what?! Not only one investigator was there but THREE! This is literally unheard of. It was so awesome and our members did a great job at fellowshipping.

By the time the third hour began, Sister Han and I were trying to round up all the young women so we could teach them the lesson we had prepared. It was all about Christlike love. I shared several experiences where I have literally had to pray to have God's help to love or tolerate some people. We challenged them to think of someone that they could show more Christlike love. We then asked them to invite that person to the Halloween party that we have organized to have next Saturday. A few of the girls sighed dramatically but eventually agreed. We made them role play which was pretty hilarious. I think it's interesting that I don't understand much but I can sense or get the feeling for what people are saying- blessing! Anyway, our Sunday evening was spent on the street talking to and inviting people to the Halloween party, to English class, and the learn the gospel. We ended up giving away about 100 flyers, a pamphlet about the restoration of this gospel, and even a Book of Mormon! It was a good night.

Today is Monday, instead of a normal PDAY all of the sisters from the mission are gathering for a Sister's Conference! Time is short, I'll tell you all about next week. I love you all and miss you. I hope everyone has a great week!! ^^ 사랑합니다!

슬론 자매
Sister Sloan










No comments:

Post a Comment