Monday was a super fun PDAY! We met up with the elders, ate lunch together, and played games at the church all day. In no other world would that even sound fun but it was a blast. While they all played Settlers of Catan, I played my music and relaxed. Eventually when they finally we got to the fun games like ping pong, some quarter game, and a few others I joined in. Despite the lameness that oozes from our newfound definition of fun, both Sister Mineer want another PDAY just like it next week. When the time came to hit the streets, we went to work. Yesterday our ward mission leader, 오광철B (Brother Oh) gave us an assignment to pass out 200 flyers and pamphlets everyday. Let me say that again.. EVERYDAY!! All of the missionaries excepted that impossible task and tonight was the first attempt. On average we only are able to have 20-30 productive conversations with people throughout the day so 200 was quite a jump. We ended the evening satisfied and exhausted with 34 in just an hour. We are AWESOME~!
Tuesday was biz-aye! Sister Mineer had scheduled three back-to-back appointments. First we went with 김하나S (Chole). She is progressing slowly, but still progressing. Today our focus was on what she had read from the Book of Mormon- we used the followup as the lesson and it went so well. The spirit really guided our words. By the end, we also had discussed baptism again and committed her to a goal of being baptized next month on the twelfth! She was super hesitant, but she is now willing to work towards the goal she has set. It. Was. Awesome!
Once we saw Chloe off, Sister Mineer and I had less time than we needed in order to make it to our relief society presidents house for a practice lesson. After setting the baptismal goal with Chloe we were both on cloud nine- which may or may not have attributed to the tremendously fast pace of our walk. As we walked we didn't let teaching opportunities pass us by and by the grace of God we were 5 minutes early!! I still cannot make logical sense of how perfectly everything worked out but I do know it was a tender mercy and miracle from God. We were both so grateful. The practice went well and 배이슥S (Sister Bay) was so helpful and pleasant. I really appreciate her.
Lastly was our appointment with 조재순S (Sister Cho). She didn't complete her homework so we sat and read her assignment from the Book of Mormon together. It was time well spent! Initially Sister Cho had no patience for mine and Sister Mineer's slow Korean but something has clearly changed in her; she is happy, she is patient, and she is always happy to see us. It is a cool change to have seen. All in all it was a good lesson and another fantastically-busy day behind us. Sister Mineer is SUCH a hard worker. I am so grateful and I feel so blessed to have a greenie who is here for all the right reasons and does all she can and more. Today starts the 70 day-countdown that I have to find, teach. and baptize all of those whom God has prepared for me. I know that if I'm with Sister Mineer until the end, well see so many miracles and burn holes through our shoes doing it! I love her.
Wednesday was a strange day... In the morning was transfers so Sister Mineer and I went to 신도림 (Shindorim subway station) to pick up our newest addition, Sister Gapinski. It was so much fun seeing all the missionaries at transfers. A few people came up to me and said, "This is probably the last time I see you before you go home." That threw me for a loop! I still have three months left but I suppose they are right because we won't have a mission party or activity until a couple weeks after I leave. So sad!! Anyway, we soon left and were on our way back home. The rest of the day kind of turned into waiting around. Sister Gapinski had mailed all of her things so we had to await its arrival. We introduced the area to her but were mostly killing time. Once the things arrived we received a call from the office elders telling us they were on their way and for us to await their arrival with everything our new companion needed. It was so lame! I feel like we gave Sister Gapinski the wrong impression of the kind of speed and business that Sister Mineer and I are accustom to. Tomorrow will be better.
To end the evening we finally left the house and taught 심하정S (Sister Shim) and her husband, 이지웅B (Brother Lee). Today the plan was to talk about the restoration. We got a little sidetrack at first but eventually we got around to it. We ended up being at their house for two hours! Whoops! Next time we have to leave time for all of their awesome questions. One funny thing that happened was when I was popping in the Restoration DVD on their laptop. I made a joke that I should just take it home and then the husband said, "You can have it if you stay in Korea." I quickly remarked back, "Can I live here?" The wife's eyes lit up and she clapped her hands as she squealed, "Oohh!! Yes!! Please!" I love them. I love that I can totally be myself around them. It is now a thing were they ALWAYS make comments of me staying. Even though I have only known them for two weeks, we are definitely already lifelong friends. I love it when that happens. :) It was an awesome ending to the day.
Thursday was back to the normal speed. We studied in the morning then immediately had back-to-back appointments for the rest of the day. Four to be exact. First was 이경호S (Sister Lee). She is crazy and super talkative grandma who is so afraid of the world and all of the evil in it. Because of exchanges I haven't been able to meet her for a long while now but I can tell Sister Mineer has been doing a great job of teaching her while I've been gone. Today we tried to address her concerns about agency. She really struggles with understanding why there is so much evil in the world. We taught the second and third lessons of the plan of salvation and Jesus Christ's gospel. It was good.
Next we met our investigator 조재순S (Sister Cho). We had previously been contemplating whether all three missionaries and our member should attend the appointment or if we should split. At first it was a lot of people across the table from Sister Cho but in no time our member, 류시옥S (Sister Ru) had everyone laughing. It was great. Again we read the Book of Mormon together and when time was about up her nephew, 최준민B (Brother Choi) joined us. He is Korean and was born here but when he turned two his family moved to the Philippines. Because of this he can speak Korean (but cannot write or read it), English, and Tagalog. He speaks to us in English and he had so many questions about the Book of Mormon. Sister Mineer and Gapinski began teaching so I stepped aside to teach the granddaughter English. We each separately had successful lessons. My lesson being successful because she didn't start mocking and mimicking until the very end and theirs being successful by setting up a baptismal date with him! Wow! They are so awesome. This whole threesome-party thing seems to be proving itself successful.
To end the day we were at 이두례S (Momma Lee)'s house for dinner with her daughter 김소정S (Sister Kim). Sister Kim begins her mission on Monday so tonight was a little bitter sweet. I am really going to miss her but in the flip side, I KNOW that is she going to be an awesome missionary. I need to write her often. She will be in the California San Fernando Mission so hopefully I'll be able to make a trip out to see her before she concludes her missionary service. Oh! Or maybe her mom will pick her up and my family could meet her! That would be awesome!! Anyway, after the delicious meal we practiced a short lesson and then were on our way. It was such a fun visit. I really feel so at home in this ward. The love I have for missionary work has really grown since I began investing more time in our members. These are relationships I want to cherish and maintain forever! I love 만수 (Mansu) ward!!
Friday was weekly planning. Our morning appointments cancelled so we completed weekly planning on time. The only event worth mentioning is the dinner appointment we had. There is a member in our ward, 김현주S (Sister Kim) who was super solid, counselor in the Young Women's and everything but decided to be offended after a small thing that she had with a man in the ward. She told bishop that she wouldn't be back for a while and she was true to her word. The other day Sister Mineer and I dropped a birthday present at her house and the next day she called to invite us over! It was a blessing and this was the answer to our prayers. We ate and enjoyed our time together. I have really missed her. I told her that she promised to come to church. For the spiritual thought we sang her a song. It was awfully executed because Elders Godfrey and Park are 100% tone deaf but it all worked out because we decided to stop after a verse and a half haha. At least everyone got a good laugh.
Saturday there was a special missionary meeting for all district, zone, and sister training leaders. It was held because MLC had taken place just a week before transfers and the movement of leaders was exceptionally high this transfer. We learned all about being builders of wards and branches again. I learned about the importance of prayer to help all of those in our stewardship whether it be the sisters we are asked to watch over or the ward as a whole. I especially loved the training that Sister Morrise gave to us STLs. She is such a sincere woman, always speaking straight from her heart and teaching out of love. I really admire her.
When the training ended Sister Mineer, Gapinski, and I made a quick pitstop to Costco for some much needed food. We were quick and home in time to stop by Seble and Abraham's house before the evening ended. At first it was all going really well but then the lesson took a turn for the worst when Abraham informed us of what his family and friends thought of our church. We tried to testify and were loving but all they kept saying was that they were not willing to leave their family traditions and beliefs behind for our church. I tried so hard to explain that they wouldn't be leaving them or abandoning their beliefs or traditions. They are extremely strong Christians and we are simply adding to what they already treasure, as PMG says. I was heartbroken to say the least. It was hard to simply thank them for their time and then say goodbye. We have already come to love them! How could they just walk out of our lives? I grabbed a taxi for our ride home and I cried silently as we drove. It was a hard ending to our day.
Sunday was a happy day. It was Father's Day in America and it is needless to say I was missing my poppa, however our busy schedule was able to keep me focused. In sacrament meeting Sister Gapinski introduced herself and 김소정 (Sister Kim) gave her departing talk. It was so sad! She looked so scared. It reminded me a lot of my talk in church right before I entered the MTC. I not only was nervous to speak but I was also realizing the realness of what I was about to get myself into. I have full confidence in her though- I made sure to let her know. Once church ended we had a meal together and then walked 정현지S (HyonChee) home. We still needed her father to sign her baptismal record so we greeted him and he invited us all in for some pumpkin tea. It was delicious. The rest of the family drank iced tea and I saw HyonChee looking at it longingly. She saw that I saw and she freaked out haha. She told me that she missed it but that her pumpkin tea would suffice. HyonChee is adorable. We said our goodbyes and went to visit a few less-active members.
The first few people wouldn't let us in but last minute I remembered a member that wasn't at church today, 김미란S (Sister Kim). When we knocked on her door, her youngest daughter, 정차연S (Sister Jeong) answered. She has been less-active ever since one of her teachers gave her anti-Mormon material. She informed us that her parents went to her mother's hometown for the weekend. I asked if we could just share a short message with her but she was SUPER hesitant. I didn't want to make things awkward so I just asked to get her cell phone number. As she watched me type her name wrong she let out a sigh and said we could come if for just a moment. We ate yogurt together, shared a scripture, gave her a reading assignment, and were on our way. It was definitely a miracle that she was home and that in my ignorance I spelt her name wrong haha.
As we walked away we received a call from Elders Godfrey and Park. They invited us to dinner at 나선경S (Sister Nah)'s house for dinner. Her and her whole family are so lovely. I am super grateful for solid members like them. The food was delicious and it was a good time. We ended the evening with our ward mission leader and his kids passing out fliers. It was fun and the missionary coordinating meeting that followed was very productive.
This week has been a blast and I am loving being in a three-party (that may sounds super lame but it sounds more normal than three-some). ANYWAY, we are doing well and seeing SO MANY miracles everyday. Today we are going shopping, so dad watch out for the credit card bill ^^ hehe just kidding.
LOVE YOU ALL!
Sister Sloan
![]() |
| Costco in Korea |
![]() |
| Elder Oh grabbing some yogurt. |
![]() |
| Our three-party~! Sister Mineer, Sister Gapinski, and me. |



No comments:
Post a Comment