Sunday, October 12, 2014

The End

Sunday, 2014/10/12 1:07AM
This weekend has been monumental. I have spent the last six weeks adjusting to life after having served a full-time proselyting mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am proud to have had this opportunity but am struggling to close this chapter. A good friend consoled me and empathizing with me in saying, “it’s as if your body is here, in Rexburg, Idaho but your heart and soul is still among the Korean people.”

I sit here in my 2012 adorable Volkswagen Jetta, emotional. The tears and inspiration have been overwhelming. Friday and Saturday I spent the days at a business conference on BYU-Idaho campus called ‘The Power to Become.’ Here, there were several amazing human beings that came to lift and inspire us through their phenomenal stories. The Gospel of Jesus Christ was a prominent part of each one of their amazing stories. It is because of Him, our Lord and Savior, that these people have changed the world. No matter the capacity of their influence, the world has been bettered. I desire to do the same.

Tonight, well- Saturday night, I went to see the newest movie in theaters. ‘Meet the Mormons’ was unbelievably executed. The six individuals that were documented with their families were nothing but fantastic, real, and passionate. My tears were uncontrollable when the last family prepared to send their oldest son on a mission. When the time finally came, they found themselves at the Salt Lake City, Utah airport. The familiar scene triggered my not-so-distant memories to come to the forefront of my mind. I was just there. Just 19 months ago my family flew to this airport together before dropping me off at the Provo, Utah MTC where my missionary life began. But that wasn’t the end of the memories, six short weekends ago, my family again found themselves waiting at this beloved airport. They waited as I de-boarded an airplane having departed from South Korea through Dallas, Texas just 23 hours prior. The welcome was sweet. But the goodbye of this young boy in the movie made it bitter. In the faces of his family, their faith and trial was apparent. As it is for me now. Every single day I miss Korea. I miss my friends, ward members, investigators, neighbors, day-to-day acquaintances, and anyone with beautiful black hair and glowing yellow skin. I have come to love Asia. I have fallen in love with the people and culture. But this is not an abstract idea only allotted to those who travel. This feeling of such a deep and unforgettable love stems from service.

Each story shared in the #p2become conference as well as the stories illustrated in the fantastic ‘Meet the Mormons’ movie all credited their faith and realization of Jesus Christ’s influence in their lives. They had all come to understand their personal responsibility to share and spread His love through service. Small, simple, or gigantic acts of service. Not every story told began with missionary service, however each and every story was influenced by it in some way. To me, this spoke volumes. There is missionary work to be done with and without a little back name tag.

My little black name tag has meant so much to me- more than my limited vocabulary can express. It is still hard to get dressed everyday having to exclude what had become my best accessory. Instead, I am left to put to work everything that the Korean people and The Lord taught me in such a short amount of time, when I was privileged to wear such an honor. His name is with me and His influence will shape me. The lives of others is proof of that truth. I am ready to discover my passion and purpose. I know that everyone plays a part in this masterpiece of the world. At times I will feel aimless but the comfort will come as I ask and pursue it. I am slowly beginning to find my part. I am discovering who I am. This chapter will inevitably close, so I will choose to close it with my  testimony.

Jesus Christ will always be our Savior, Redeemer, and beloved older brother. He provided the saving power of the Atonement. The Atonement has shaped my life and filled the deep voids of regret. I am whole so long as I apply and remember Him and what He did. God is a loving god. He gave us examples, families, and a way to live with Him again. He will never abandon us. He will always know what we need and has given us priceless gifts of prayer and the Holy Spirit. These are the gifts by which we communicate with our Maker and Eternal Father. I love Him. I am grateful for Him. Just like He created us, He has given us the same ability. Let us create and use our resources to build His kingdom. We build and love as we service and influence. It’s so amazing what we are all capable of creating!


I say all of these things and conclude my mission journal, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment