It was so fun being able to skype with you. I hope you had a great Mothers Day mom. I love you and am so grateful for everything you do, have done, and will do. You're amazing.
As for this week, it was CRAZY!
I am finally in Korea and everything is awesome! I will try to break it down for you...
Monday morning at 3AM the first group of Korean speaking missionaries reported to the travel office at the MTC. Sister Scott and Sister Cheney were awesome and helped me with all of my stuff. It was really tough saying goodbye to them, they are my best friends here at the MTC. Some tears were shead then our shuttle was off by 3:30AM. Upon arriving at the airport, the day flew by! As you know, we flew from LAX, SFO, and finally Incheon Seoul. When we arrived it was Tuesday afternoon...I skipped a whole day!!
Anyway before I move on, let me tell you about the longest plane ride from SFO to Korea. It was 12 hours long. Although all of the missionaries sat by each other, I was lucky to be seated nexted to some Koreans flying back home from vacation in the United States. Our conversation started by them showing me every picture they took when they went to Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and California. Of course it was interesting; however, after the husbands phone ran out of pictures to show, the wife was so excited to show me all of the pictures she took. Mind you, they were with each other The. Whole. Trip. Therefore, I saw every picture twice, with the exception of the angle being different haha. It was fun though. After their pictures I showed them the pictures I had of my family. With the little English that they knew, they told me how beautiful everyone was. ^^ While going through the pictures I have a picture of Derek on his mission in Brazil. I pointed at his name tag, then pointed at mine. With the little Korean I knew, a conversation started.
They had all kinds of questions about what we believe as a church. They are strong baptists so I was asking them what they believed. It was a good conversation. As it went on I was so grateful that we were on a long flight. It takes me a while to communicate my point and it took a while to understand them. However, the point is, we were understanding each other. More than once I would be struggling and I was fortunate to have so many missionaries around me. They would help me with vocabulary and lent me Book of Mormon's and Preach My Gospel's in both English and Korea. It was an awesome experience for me. It reminded me that God wants us to succeed. He gives us so many tools to help us. In that moment on the plane, I needed all of the help I could get. Everyone was so encouraging and so excited to help me succeed. Even though nothing immediately came of our conversation, we are both at an understanding of the basic beliefs of our respected churches and religion.
Anyway, it was a good preview to what I had in store next.
After our bags were dropped off, Sister Stradling and I were called in to interview with President Furniss. I felt less than presentable. I was more than happy to start getting to know my mission president. By the time we were both done, it was about 8:30PM. All of the new missionaries met together for a snack and house prayer. It was short and sweet. I took a quick shower, then we were off to bed! I was in a room with Sister An, Hilton, and Stradling. We were a quiet bunch as we got ready for bed. As I layed down I had a letter in hand, ready to open and read. Instead, I fell asleep the second my head hit the pillow!
Wednesday I woke up just before the alarm went off at 6:30 AM. I slept so well! I am so grateful they kept us up until later that evening. Because of that, most of us didn't experience having any jetlag. After getting ready, we had a nice french toast breakfast. There were 27 missionaries to feed so extra tables were set up in the living room of the mission home. The zone leader carried three small tables in. They were maybe a foot off the ground. At that moment, I remembered that that was the typical table I would be eating at while I am here in Korea. I helped to set the places on each table. However those small tables were where the Elders were eating. Watching some of them try to cross their legs low enough to fit under the table was hilarious! Anyway, we ate and it was delicious.
Once everything was cleaned up, it was time for training. All of the new missionaries followed the AP's to the chapel. There we learned all about our mission and the standard we were expected to live. It all lasted for a few hours until it was time for lunch. President and his wife took all of us out for a nice lunch at a Korean restaurant. A few people had never tried kimchee or other things. President Furniss had his camera ready for the funny reactions. Everything was good...I'm not totally sure what I'm eating but it's probably better that way haha.
After lunch we had more training. After training we met some of the missionaries in the area. We were asked to split up and start to 전도 (proselyte- pronounced johndo). That was quite an experience. The 자매님 (Sister- pronounced jahmaynem) that took me and Hilton 자매님 was a native. We followed her to a busy intersection. There is a rule for my mission that as a Sister, I can only approach women. So the first lady we saw we all said "hello" to. She paid no attention and kept walking. In my brain I figured, "oh. okay. Where is the next girl we can talk to?" Boy was I wrong! Before I knew it the 자매님 was half way down the block walking fast and talking to that same lady that I thought had no interest. Quickly Hilton 자매님 and I turned on our Olympic speed skills to catch up. Over and over we just followed people as they were walking. Most people would wave their hands in our face indicating they were not interested. Despite the hard-to-ignore body language, the 자매님 would finish her thought and try to hand out a pass along card. I introduced us a couple times, but mostly let the other two sisters take the lead. In the MTC, I thought my understanding was okay, but here I was humbled pretty quickly. I guess it is a little less intimidating as I thought it would be because we are talking to the back of people's heads... Oh well. It was a unique experience.
By 8:30PM we called it a day with 전도 and head back to the mission home where we had some dinner. After we ate, there was a spiritual thought shared, everyone knelt for house prayer, and then everyone was excused to prepare for bed. Again, I had no problem falling asleep. I set my alarm a few minutes early so that I could shower first in the morning.
Thursday was quite the eventful day! Once everyone was ready we had cold cereal for breakfast. Next we took turns loading into the mission van to have our fingerprints taken for our green cards. The roads here are so small! The cars seem more compact but still, I cannot imagine getting used to this. Thank goodness this isn't a driving mission. However, I have noticed that hardly anyone has road rage or honks their horn, everyone is pretty patient even if someone cuts them off or takes ten years to parallel park.
Once we arrived back at the mission home it was time to have the board of our assignments revealed!! We all piled into President Furniss's office where all of the AP's were holding a curtain shut over the board. There was a quick drum role, a lot of anticipation, and then with a fast swoosh of both curtains- there was our fate. Some sisters squealed with excitement and elders started exchanging high fives. It took me a while to find my picture. One of the AP's had to point it out to me. I was assigned to District A of the Suwon area! I smiled, but not for long. Right after I saw my picture one of the AP's informed me that I would be serving in the area where they would be dividing the new Seoul South mission and Daejeon. Althought it will not be absolute until next transfer, President Furniss said that it is more than likely that my mission, along with 19 others from the Daejeon mission, will be changing. Oh! On top of that, my companion and I will be the first sisters in this area. That means I would be helping to open an area! Needless to say, my jaw dropped. Hilton 자매님 came over, gave me a hug, and asked how I was feeling. I honestly didn't know. I was happy, but mostly shocked that I would be changing missions and paving the way for future sisters serving in Suwon. When I was able to pick my jaw up from the floor, I took at look to see who my companion would be. 욘 자매님, aka Sister Yoon. I was the only foriegn sister paired with a native Korean! Again I was shocked, but also so grateful. When it comes to the language I needed all of the help I can get. As I looked closer at my district, I saw that I would not be alone. Both Elder Sorensen and Elder Haffin were with me in the MTC and now we were in the same district. Not only that but Elder Sorensen and I would be serving in the same ward! He was paired with an Elder Choo, a native Korean. Just like me, he is the only foreign paired with a native. I don't know what The Lord has in store for us, but I'm excited to find out.
We didn't have to wait too much longer to meet our trainers. President and the AP's took us to the chapel. They closed the doors and asked us to make a semi-circle around them in preperation for the trainers to arrive. I thought it was funny how dramatic they tried to make it. Of course we were excited but it was a little over the top with a ton of cameras ready to capture our first reactions haha. Anyway, the doors opened and trainers greeted their greenies with huge hugs. I didn't recognize 욘 자매님 from her picture but she ran over to me and gave me a million hugs haha. She is so cute. Also she is a little taller than me...Say what? Anyway, we had a few minutes to introduce ourselves. We were then asked to find a seat for some more training.
Before I knew it, 욘 자매님 and I gathered my things and called a taxi to take us to the train station. The taxi ride was only half an hour or so but the whole ride 욘 자매님 introduced us and answered all if his questions about our church. I understood a little of what was being discussed, but not all of it. They speak so fast! Hopefully I'll be able to speak faster or at least understand more as I pay close attention. Only time will tell.
At the train station we had to wait an hour for our train. In that time 욘 자매님 and I called both the bishop and ward mission leader. It's fine I just introduced myself and said that I was ready to work diligently... In Korean! Not a huge deal, except I was pretty proud. Once we were on our train, it took just over an hour and a half to get to Suwon. We had previously arranged for a dinner appointment with our bishop so the elders were so kind to deliver my suitcases to the chapel by our temporary apartment (I'll talk more about that in a moment).
We took an extra bus to their apartment. (Side note, everyone lives in apartments- since South Korea is small, they were smart and built up to use the land wisely.) Bishop and his whole family (4 sons and a daughter) were so nice and welcoming. They knew it was my first day with my companion so they made an extra effort to include me in the conversation. I love them. After, 욘 자매님 and I shared a spiritual message. Since we are opening a new area, there is a 소개 (referral- pronounced sogay) program we introduced. I shared an experience, D&C 18:16, and a simple testimony. When our message was over, I was asked to say the closing prayer too. Although my Korean was the opposite of fast or smooth, all things considered, I feel like I did well. On our way out the two youngest sons and the bishop walked us to the bus stop. I played rock, paper, scissors with the boys while we waited for 15 minutes. It was cute even though somehow the youngest boy always found a way to twist the rules and win. The bus ride home took an hour. There were not any women to proselyte to so it was boring. Next, we picked up my luggage from the church and rolled them 2 blocks to the apartment. We are temporarily staying with two sisters until our apartment lease starts (5/20/13). The apartment is on the 4th floor... The absence of an elevator was brutal, but the other sisters helped so it was fine. It was time for bed so we all quickly arranged the beds (요어) and passed out.
Friday was my first real day in the field! It was exciting to wake up at 6:30, get ready, eat a Korean breakfast, and then immediately get to work. In the MTC all of the study time seemed to be excessive, but here I never feel like it's enough. After personal and companionship study we were out the door. We had to pick up 욘 자매님's backpack from her last house. The whole way there, all we did was 전도 on every bus and on the street. It was cool to be able to contribute a little even though I know 욘 자매님 deserves all of the credit. We didn't have any success with receiving contact information or handing out Book of Mormons, but plenty of people walked away with pass along cards. 욘 자매님 assured me that we shouldn't be discouraged, because we are planting seeds. She said, "no effort will be a waste [when our goal is helping bring others unto Christ]." When we retrieved her backpack we had to head back to the Suwon area chapel. There we met Elders Cho, Sorensen, Son, and Arnett to go over all we knew about our area. Elder Arnett is American so he tried to translate most of what was being said. We looked over the map, area books, and all of the member records. It lasted for 3 hours. It was very helpful. Before we left we set goals and then cleaned up. On our way out to the bus there was a little store were mine and Elder Sorensens senior companions bought us Korean style ice cream sandwiches- they had sweet red beans inside which sounds weird/gross but it was good! The elders walked us to our bus stop then 욘 자매님 and I headed to a dinner appointment with some members. Just like bishops family they were very welcoming.
(Oh! Something interesting, in America when couples get married the woman takes on the mans last name. But here in Korea that is not the case. You know how Lee (이), Kim (김), and Park (박) are common Korean last names? Well, a long time ago those where last names of nobel people. Servants did not have last names unless someone with authority would grant you one. Soon everyone had to have a last name so now Koreans like to hold on to their last names because of the meanings behind it. Hopefully that makes sense…)
Anyway so when we visit families, the husband and wife have different last names (the kids take on the fathers name) and everyone goes by their full name... That's a lot to remember haha! So this family that we ate dinner with just to happened to have the same last name of 김 which made things easier when again, I was asked to give the closing prayer. Just before the prayer I was able to share a brief testimony and also help introduce the 소개 program. It was a lot of fun. Before we knew it we were out of time and had to head back home. We 전도'ed a little on our way home but it wasn't a long ride. Once again it was time for bed after companionship study/planning. These mats we have to sleep on really aren't that comfortable. They are new and hard as a rock but after these long days of walking, I'm pretty sure I could fall asleep anywhere... And I do haha.
Saturday morning was hilarious. While 욘 자매님 and I were having personal study she was so tired and started falling asleep as she was reading and taking notes. I was reading too, but I stopped to watch her doze. One time in particular she was nodding off. She was in the middle of writing something and her pen slipped and drew a line all the way up her paper as she lost control. I tried so had not to laugh but that was impossible. I snickered and that woke her up haha. She was embarrassed but it was so funny!! Anyway we moved onto companionship study. She decided to read me a verse in the scriptures in Korean and as I heard it i was supposed to write it. It was really tough but I actually didn't do that bad! After that it was time to 전도. Again, there wasn't much success. Only a hand full give you the time of day and actually make eye contact with you. Oh well, at least people accept the pass along cards. By 6PM it was time to make our way to a dinner appointment.
We were only anticipating to meet Brother and Sister 김 (Kim- they just so happen to have the same last name too) but they had their daughter and her family in town. Their daughter lives in Dallas, Texas with her husband and son (they have another son serving in Seoul, I think). Anyway the Brother-in-law studied at Berkley and his English is amazing! We was speaking Korean with everyone while all of the food was being set on the table then he turned to me and totally changed to speaking English perfectly, it caught me totally off guard haha. But I was grateful to be involved in some conversation. Most meals I just eat and smile. Again! I was asked by the father, an ex-Air Force solider (kind of intimidating... well maybe a lot) to say a closing prayer after our short lesson. They were amazed that I could say so much in my prayer, it made me feel good. ^^ it was a confidence boost I needed to 전도 on the buses back home.
Sunday was stake conference. All of the missionaries were asked to arrive early so that we could have a greeting party as everyone enter the church. It was funny to have like ten missionaries line the steps in to the church handing out programs and all saying hello to everyone. It was fun. I received some hugs from some of the members we had met and ate with. 욘 자매님 and I have been studying the member book so that we can remember faces and names- it definitely paid off when we were their greeting. 욘 자매님 translated all of stake conference for me. Most of the speakers spoke about their missions and missionary work. I think they are excited to have so many sister coming out and serving. It helped me get excited about working harder so that my companion and I can start finding and teaching progressive investigators! Directly after there was a baptism that the Elders in my ward preformed. It was pretty cool seeing that investigator progress and become a member of our ward. ^^ While the congregation waited for him to change after the baptism was preformed we sang songs and I was asked to introduce myself... That was humiliating. I know how to say my name is Sister Sloan and I'm from California. After that 욘 자매님 translated for me. People were giving me looks of encouragement which was nice but I also feel like people treat me like a 5 year old... Probably because I talk like one. Haha oh well.
When the baptism was over all of the missionaries lingered to talk with members. One Brother asked us to try and fellowship his wife who is a non-member. Her name is 김미미 (Kim me me). He is trying to set an example for her but needs our help. We were more than willing so we stopped by later that evening. She was the opposite of excited to see us, but we introduced ourselves and tried to make a good impression. When we said goodbye 욘 자매님 and I left a 사랑해요 (I love you) banner on their door. It was cute, I hope she likes it. Directly after we had to head home. Our area is pretty big so we had to walk a ways then hope on a bus to get home. We were a little late getting home because two main roads were blocked off by our house because the Buddhist community was celebrating Buddah's upcoming birthday (5/17/13).
All is well. I'm loving it here. It is a lot to take in buy I have an amazing trainer that is explaining everything and answering all of my questions.
I love you all ^^
PS is there anything you'd like from Korea?
![]() |
| DOLE! |
| Selfy picture I told my dad to remove, but he likes it so he won't! |








No comments:
Post a Comment