Monday, November 25, 2013

Moving Apartments & Mihwa!

Mnday was strange. It was PDAY and most missionaries had to buy some appropriate clothing for the fast approaching winter. Our district met for lunch and shopping. I mostly wandered as everyone took forever! I eventually bought some awesome wool leggings to wear under my skirts. Maybe it sounds dramatic, but they are the coolest things. Even though everyone was taking forever, soon hunger got the best of us. Because half the missionaries were going to a meal appointment later, we didn't eat together; instead we left to be back in our respective proselyting areas. After 6PM Sister Hammerl  and I hit the streets hard and talked to so many people! I am getting a lot better at having more natural conversations. After exceeding our goal of conversations, we head to our appointment. It was a YSA FHE/dinner with the missionaries, 이상훈B, and 정태호B. It wasn't as productive as I would have liked but it was a good time.

Tuesday felt lazy for the most part. This week we are moving houses and today was the day we received we the new keys... or should I say the codes for the new apartment. It is only two years old so it is pretty high tech. The only downfalls are the fact that it is a little smaller and about 20 more minutes away from the church. Regardless, I am grateful.

Once Sister Hammerl and I met the landlord and his wife, we struggled to understand all of the information that they were trying to convey. Eventually we found that charades was the best form of communication haha. We all looked retarded, but now we understand the water heater, filtered water system, complicated code to enter the apartment building, as well as many other things. I'm so grateful for all the time they took with us to help us understand. After that ordeal they invited us into their apartment on the floor above us. The wife served us some sweet potatoes and tomato juice- so kind. After chatting with them, we head back down to our new apartment to clean before move-in day. It took forever but it was worth it in the end. When we finished, we hit the streets to talk to some more people, buy a new English book for English class, and then we ate dinner before heading to class.

This week is the first week that our English class has moved from just Wednesday to both Tuesday and Thursday. I'm not completely convinced that this is an effective use of our precious missionary time but for now we are trying it out. Class went well! We used the new book and played games to help consolidate what they had just learned. We even received a new student that wouldn't leave my side- she kept saying how nice I was and how much fun class was. Booyah! It ended up being a good night.

Wednesday was fun! Before district meeting we all decided to do a potluck for lunch. I brought a bunch of 김 (seaweed) and sweetened radish in order to make 김밥 (Korean style sushi). It was fun to make the food and even better once it was time to eat. The training was boring. Elder Breckwoldt is a great missionary but I think he forgets about his weekly training every week. His lack of preparation is really distracting but anyway, it was fine. After, Sister Hammerl and I confirmed several wrong addresses of some less-active members. It was sad but at least it was productive. Since the potluck was so big, we skipped dinner and them spent our night passing out English flyers with the other missionaries.

Just before we were going to end, I received a call from someone waiting at the church for English class. Since this is the first week that we changed the class times and dates, we hurried to greet her and correct the misunderstanding. It turns out that she is literally CRAZY! I tried to explain things but she would repetitively interrupt and ask me, "Wait, is this South Korea?" First red flag. Next she began speaking English but mixing up the order of words to match the Korean sentence structure. It was strange. We tried to get her on her way but it took about 40ish minutes to figure out where she needed to go and see her off in the right direction. It was so strange! Anyway, besides that crazy lady my night ended in a high when I saw a package for me from my mommy!! I made a mistake of opening it in front of people because most of the candy included is now gone haha... just kidding, sharing is fun... and stuff. But seriously, my mother included a scarf that I think literally saved me on our 20 minute walk home. Thanks mom!!

Thursday, moving day! The morning went by quickly as I packed and cleaned everything in the apartment. When I was done, it was about time for the office elders as well as the elders from the district to come help move us. Since all the food in the house was gone, we quickly ran to eat lunch and then made it make just in time for us to load the mission van. The whole day was quite an ordeal. The streets around here are pretty tight which makes it hard to squeeze a van through. It is needless to say that two hours later, about a 1,000,000 point-turn, and 5 Korean men helping later, the van fit through and made it to the front of our apartment. EVENTUALLY, the house was moved and unpacked. When it all finished it was 6:30PM... We all had 30 minutes to get to English class. It was stressful but ended up being alright. We even received another new student At the end Sister Hammel and I shared the spiritual message. It went well.

On our way home, we were STARVING! I forgot that he hadn't had dinner, again! I hope Sister Hammerl doesn't think that I am anorexic or something because since we have been together we literally have skipped at least one meal everyday- whoops! Anyway, we desperately wandered and finally found the only restaurant that was open. We ordered food then literally had to run home in order not to be late haha. It's good that we ate in privacy because I think we looked like starving cavemen that hadn't seen food in months haha- very becoming I know.

Friday was a failed day. The 신갈 elders in the district were also moving and they specifically asked for mine and Sister Hammerl's help to clean the new and old apartment. We did a little until it was time for us to goto a series of appointments. Long story short, American logic and sense of direction DOES NOT work here in Korea. We got so lost and of course both appointments had to be rescheduled. I was feeling so incompetent and retarded but maybe it was a blessing that we didn't teach because I was far from having the spirit with me in order to teach effectively. Poor Sister Hammerl was following me around and trying so hard to cheer me up. She is so kind and I need to apologize to her of how I was acting today...

Our day ended with unpacking and weekly planning. It was strange to have weekly planning because my new greenie arrives next week and when she does, Sister Hammerl will head to her new area. Despite the strange situation, I encouraged Sister Hammerl to help me plan even though she felt it was pointless; she is still a missionary for this area and has as much stewardship over them as I do. It ended us being an awesome planning session. Her input was so inspired! This church is so true! What a great end to the day!

Saturday was a crazy day!! It was an early start in order to arrive in 영든포 for a combined mission tour. This is a strange occurrence but because two area seventies where in the area, both the Seoul and Seoul South missions met to hear their inspired words. (Side note, when the mission split 79 missionaries came from the Seoul mission and 20 came from Daejeon- NOW there are over 150 missionaries in each! Missionaries are increasing like crazy!!) Of course their training and counsel was good but my favorite part was all of the new information of how technology will be available soon for missionaries here in Korea! ...while that is exciting, when I say soon that probably means in a year or so. Anyway, it was a great meeting. After the meeting we were all given time to socialize and see friends from the other mission. It was fun until it was time to leave and literally everyone that asked to travel with us home would not leave. I think people think I'm crazy but I don't care, Sister Hammerl and I had an appointment to get to ha.

On the subway home I turned on my American logic again and got up on the wrong line. It wasn't a terrible mistake but it is always annoying. We eventually made it to our appointment only a few minutes late. We met with 신숙희S and her six-year old daughter. It was really hard to teach and feel the spirit because her daughter was so rowdy. She kept sticking stickers on our faces as we tried to talk. We thought that ignoring her would work but instead we looked like idiots with hello kitty stickers all over our foreheads. Despite the distraction, the lesson went as well as I think it could have. Directly after we had to quickly travel to the church for the Saturday session on stake conference. It was hard to follow along but after was the best! Somewhere in the middle I saw someone walk in, looking for a seat. When I saw them I jumped up to get their attention and offer mine. As I stood up several familiar faces were in the congregation. Immediately following the closing prayer, I wasted no time running to greet members from my first area. The woman don't usually hug but I didn't care, I gave them all such huge hugs- I didn't realized how much I still miss them! My Korean mother especially was so happy to see me. She would not let my hands go as we moved from person to person to say hello. These Korean saints have such big hearts! I love them!!

Sunday was a fun day. The night before Sister Bassett and Sister Goines, from 평택, stayed the night for the Sunday session of stake conference. Getting ready all together took me back to college. I really miss having more girls around. I hope that I'll have an opportunity to live in a four-person house at some point on my mission. After breakfast and a group companionship study, we walked to the chapel together. The wind is getting so intense!! It was a long walk but once we arrived there were more familiar faces. The first I saw was 박진비S, a cute little girl from the first ward I served in. I ran and gave her a hug and we played for a little while until it was time for the meeting to begin. There was a separate room for native English speakers which most of the missionaries were asked to sit in. The conference was broadcasted and we were able to hear from Quintin L. Cook, Robert D. Hales, as well as a few other people. It was a great meeting! All of the speakers stressed the importance of families and holding a weekly family home evening. These speakers were talking directly to people in Korea so I think they did a great job honing in on the needs and specific troubles that families in Korea face. It is amazing how perfect this gospel and church organization is, it literally works in every country and every culture. The Lord is pretty brilliant.

By noon the meeting ended. The missionaries talked with the members until a majority of them left. One of the last sisters to leave was Sister An. I squeezed her arm and told her how much I missed her. She smiled and pulled me into the other room. The night before she had seen how cold I was so today she decided to pack two pairs of thick nylons haha. She pulled one out of her bag, made sure I liked the color, then gave it to me and said that we could be twins because she was wearing an identical pair haha. She is so adorable and giving! This is the same sister who keeps the missionaries in the 곡반정 ward fed and happy. She is amazing. After seeing her off we left to eat lunch at home. I convinced Sister Bassett and Goines to stay and we ate 김지 지게 (kimchee soup) together and then saw them off. They are so fun!!

After lunch, Sister Hammerl and I cleaned up and then head out to door to visit a few members of the ward. Not even five seconds after we arrived at our bus stop, the phone rang. It was a number that I didn't have saved. I had a mini heart attack as I answered the phone in Korean. Fortunately, it was a kind voice on the other line asking for my old companion, 한다솜S. I explained that she transferred but then in English the voice asked if I was Sister Sloan. I was little take back as well as relieved as I confirm that I was Sister Sloan. As soon I did, the voice introduced herself as 임미화 (Mihwa) from my home ward in Monterey, California. She told me that she was visiting her sister for the next few days and wanted to introduce me to her. It just so happened that we had time, so I quickly found a bus that would take us to the right place and we arrived maybe 30 minutes later. It was such a fun visit! The house warm and Mihwa and her sister Miyeon were so welcoming.  They had just returned from Geju island so they had plenty of pictures to share. It looks beautiful!! I want to go there someday! Mihwa was pretty on top of everything and she kept the conversation going in order for us to better get to know each other. A few times Miyeon would stand up and prepare fruit and 약밥 for us to eat, then join us again. Mihwa kept saying that they were like Martha and Mary in the New Testament- one constantly making side dishes and the other talking haha. They are a fun family!

I realized that time had gotten away from us when Miyeon's husband arrived home. We introduced ourselves again, shared one of my favorite scriptures for a spiritual message, and left them to enjoy their evening together. I was sad to leave the warm house and good company but we had a few more visits to make before heading home. They greeted us at the elevator and we said our goodbyes. I hope we have to opportunity to meet with this family again- they are awesome.

The rest of the night was bitter cold. We tried to drop by some members houses but no one was home. As a back up plan we ran home to grab warmer clothes then we hit the streets for a few hours to try and reach our goal of taking with people. Very few people were out considering the piercing wind, so we wandered and were able to talk with 16 people. It was a good end to a good day.

Happy Monday, today is PDAY and the zone is meeting to play soccer again. I am bundled up and hoping all these layers will be enough to counter the cold weather and the wind- we'll see! I hope you all had and will have a great week! I appreciate all the love and prayers that you are sending my way. I will need that especially this week when I begin training for real. Ahhh!! So excited!
Love you all!!!
슬론 자매

Miyeon, Me and Mihwa!

Sister Hammerl

No comments:

Post a Comment