Monday, February 24, 2014

Lot's of Practice Lessons...and a giant fart

2/17-23
Monday was a pretty lame PDAY looking back. Not sure what Sister Bagley and I accomplished but somehow we had a blast!! Speaking of which I don't think I have properly introduced her... Her name is CaLea (pronounced KuLee) Bagley from American Fork, Utah. She is 19. She loves soccer, photography, and her huge family (parents and nine kids). Also she has a boyfriend (maybe not an official title but anyway) serving in Norway. I love her and we have come to find out that maybe we have lived the same life, but in different states haha. We have become fast friends and we both tell each other at least ten times a day how happy and grateful we are to be companions with the other.

This morning we were able to go on a run and guess what? The winter is FINALLY on its way out! We were both surprised and grateful for how warm it is nowadays (okay maybe warm is the wrong word, because it is still cold but anyway, warmer).Today we were on a search for thrift shops but failed. When PDAY time ended we headed to the church to first teach 최재인S (Jane) the first lesson- The Restoration of Jesus Christ's Gospel, then stayed for the ward FHE (Family Home Evening). The lesson was so much fun. I love teaching kids, because it is so much easier to have a back and forth discussion. This little girl is crazy smart too! After the lesson we met in the chapel for FHE. A member planned some games and then we had snacks after. It was pretty standard, but there was definitely had an Asian twist which is always fun haha.

Tuesday was so busy!! In companionship study we planned messages for the two appointments we had but out of nowhere two more lessons crept into our schedule. I love being busy but dang we really got a run for our money today! First we hopped on a bus to find a less-active member of our ward. When I was texting her, I thought she said she was working and that it was okay for us to stop by anytime... When we showed up it just so happened that the convenient store where she works is called AnyTime. So by telling us that visits were okay at AnyTime, she didn't mean any time- see how things can be a little confusing? Hehe Sister Bagley and I got a good laugh, bless our hearts. It wasn't all a misunderstanding though because the member, 정혜연S (Sister Jeong) welcomed us in and sat us down. She was pretty confused as to why there wasn't a Korean missionary in our companionship, but I ended up explaining everything in a pretty round about way- my Korean is improving but I'm not sure if I'll ever learn how to be concise when I speak it haha. Again it was all on me to socialize. I'm getting pretty used to being awkward- I don't want to be but it's inevitable in missionary life. After some small talk, we shared a message, and left her with a prayer. Almost immediately after we left, we received a text from her thanking us so much for the spiritual message and visit. She invited us to come by more often :) you best believe we will.

Our next appointment was with the relief society president. We practiced teaching the first lesson. This too was a confusing experience because at first the member was answer questions as herself but half way through she started acting like an investigator. I didn't mind explaining things in more detail but she kept going back and forth so I ended up looking like an idiot asking her questions that duh she knows but maybe the 'investigator' she was playing didn't. It was weird but good practice with being comfortable in awkward situations haha.

Our next appointment was with a potential investigator (김현아S (Sister Kim). She is the elder's, investigator's, sister. She will be moving somewhere in the Daejeon mission in a couple weeks so we only have this week and next to teach her. I was worried that she was only English interested but all went well and I have a good feeling about her. Maybe the missionaries in Daejeon will be able to baptize her soon.

The next appointment was with a member but it fell through so instead Sister Bagley and I went to meet up with the 연수 (YeonSu) sister missionaries. It was time for another exchange! That even ended with 황예림S (Sister Hwang) and I making English flyers and talking to people in the street. It wasn't the most eventful evening but it was fun.

Wednesday was an okay day. I tried my best to only speak to Sister Hwang in Korean but it was crazy hard! I'm bad at small talk as it is, can you imagine what happens with a limited Korean vocabulary? It was tough. After our studies we set out to visit some less-active members. The last ward I served in had over 800 less-active members but this ward has only about 50. That is still a lot of people but I feel like this is a little more manageable. Anyway, we had some success but were only able to share messages at the door. It was so much easier to communicate with a native Korean there! I liked it but it made me appreciate my current companionship even more. Sister Bagley and I have to rely a lot more on each other and The Lord for not only language help but for everything. It was a good eye opener and a much appreciated lesson that I needed to learn.

By 4PM we met at a cafe to switch back. After drinking some delicious hot chocolate Sister Bagley and I were on our way to a members house for a lesson. We met 김미란S (Sister Kim) and her daughter for a short 30 minute lesson. We taught them the first lesson about the restoration of the gospel. It went really well! After teaching this to members for two weeks now, I think Sister Bagley and I are finally confident enough to start teaching investigators! When we finished we said our goodbyes and were on our way to 김정은S (Sister Kim)'s house for a lesson and dinner with her family. This is the woman who I visited with Sister Wing last week. Her kids warmed up a little bit but still it was like pulling teeth and looking like an idiot to make them crack a smile. Dinner was yummy and the lesson went well. We taught it to her whole family (husband- return missionary and three kids). Again, we taught the restoration and it went well. I think the climax was when I finished reciting Joseph Smith's experience of the first vision and the second youngest daughter felt the power of the account so strongly that she couldn't control herself and just let a giant fart rip haha. It was gross, the parents were embarrassed but Sister Bagley and I couldn't help but laugh, it was pretty funny. When we finished we head home for the night.

Thursday was a good day. We had our first meeting with our investigator, 김현아S (Sister Kim). She is 21, 19 international age and the sister of Elders Berry and Higham's investigator. Maybe she is quiet but I think she has a lot of potential. The lesson went well and we found out that she went to a Christian high school so she already has a solid foundation of the Bible, God, and Jesus Christ. Although the lesson was mostly awkward, both Sister Bagley and I felt that maybe it was the right time to extend a baptismal invitation. Just as Sister Bagley was about to, her brother came in and started making all kinds of noise. The spirit wasn't gone but it was definitely disrupted. Maybe next time we will have a better setting.

Our next appointment cancelled so instead we were on our way to visit a less-active family (well only the two daughters are members). When we arrived the mother came to the door and told us that her daughter didn't have any time. My Korean flowed pretty well as I spoke and I was also able to understand what she was saying. She had a smile on her face when trying to imply she didn't want us back but I replied with a huge smile and said we would be back next week haha. Hopefully we'll be able to soften her heart.

To end the evening we had another dinner and lesson with 이두례S (Sister Lee). It was an excellent visit. For the first time Sister Bagley and I practiced teaching the second lesson about the Plan of Salvation. It wasn't as awful as I thought it might be since it was the first practice. Even the member was impressed and told us she can tell that we are learning. Booyah! On our way out she gave us A BUNCH of kimchee!! Her husband (a non-member) came home in the process and even he was asking why she was giving away so much haha. Our members treat us so well!

Friday was strange. Instead of our normal schedule we had a zone conference. Normally these meetings are spiritually uplifting and awesome but for some reason this meeting was different. I didn't get a lot out of it and I was feeling pretty strange. I still can't put my finger on it but all in all I was disappointed that 7 hours was dedicated to this meeting and I hardly got anything from it.

On our way home, the first appointment we had cancelled and the last appointment asked us to come early. It's funny how things work out. We ate a delicious dinner with 유경숙S (Sister You) and her husband 백용실S (Brother Beck) first. After we spent 30 minutes teaching Sister You English and then another 30 minutes teaching a practice lesson. Since it was Friday night the couple seemed to be in a rush so we fell back on our Restoration lesson plans. It went well and they loved it.

On the way home I thought I could lead us by foot. Welp, that was a fail. Eventually I gave up when Sister Bagley offered to just pay for a taxi... It turned out to be a good thing because we had an awesome opportunity to teach the taxi diver a lesson! We received his number and asked permission to refer him to the elders. He said yes and thanked us for our time- booyah!

Saturday was a strange day. Nothing went as planned. After Sister Bagley and I left the house we decided it would be a good idea to visit the grandma that we met on the street last Sunday. We made her a cute collection of chocolates and knocked on her door. She quickly ushered us in and brought fruit and orange juice out for us to enjoy. It was so nice. We tried just getting to know her but her old grandma voice was so hard to understand. Eventually she asked me to write down a few things, I'm not sure why but I wrote (in Korean) I am Sister Sloan. I am a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And we love you grandma. When I finished, she put on her glasses and started reading out loud... When she got to the last line her face lit up and she looked at us with a huge smile and repeated "Thank you, thank you!" in English. It was adorable. We tried to share a short message before we left but her Methodist roots came out and wouldn't let us speak. Sister Bagley bore a short testimony and we were off.

Next was English class. Two new students today! It went well. A member has taken it upon himself to help us but he actually just ends up teaching. I don't love it but the students learned a lot today. After class we had a ward activity. First on the agenda, soccer! You have no idea how excited Sister Bagley was to play. We had a blast and we built major 정 (meaning a relationship of trust) with all of our students and some of their parents that came. It was awesome!

The rest of the activity kind of fell apart so they wrapped up early and all the missionaries and a few investigators went to dinner. Like I said, it was a weird day where nothing happened the way it was originally planned. Sister Bagley and I couldn't figure out what it was but something just felt wrong...

Sunday was fine. Church was solid. The members are awesome as usual. Following the last hour of church, we ate lunch as a ward before heading to the stake center for a Member-Missionary Work fireside. That meeting was good, it was so nice to see so many of the members there supporting us as missionaries and eager to do missionary work in their own lives. At the beginning of the program, all 26 full-time missionaries sang 'Called to Serve' for the stake. It was powerful. When the meeting ended we head back to our area (만수). 백용실B, his wife 유경숙S, and their daughter gave Sister Bagley and I a ride back and forth. They are literally the funniest family! It was a blast hanging out with them.

To end the night we had a missionary coordinating meeting. It was good however it took a pretty long time. Everyone, including Elder Berry, was a little restless so as a result he made a comment to me that I didn't appreciate too much... He said, "Come on Sister Sloan, learn some Korean so everything doesn't have to take so long to be translated." When we arrived home I was less than pleased. Those are my least favor comments nowadays. I know I am not here in Korea to learn Korean. I am here to spread God's love and invite His children to build strong relationships with Him. I have gotten better about not comparing myself to others but I hate when others feel the need to step in and remind me. Anyway, I wasn't happy.

To my surprise, about 20 minutes after being home, we received a phone call- it was Elder Berry. He was calling to apologize. I cannot tell you how grateful I was. Maybe this is a pointless experience to write about but I want to remember that even small apologizes about silly things makes a world of difference. Everyday I am amazed at how so many people my age are serving or preparing to serve missions. Having the opportunity to serve The Lord is this capacity is unreal! All the growing up I have done as well as missionaries like Elder Berry, really blows my mind. This church is so true!! I am so grateful for the chance I have to learn so much from my fellow missionaries. Being a missionary is awesome.

This week was great. I still love my companion and we are still extremely busy! I don't know how we will do it but we resolved to work even harder this coming week... pray for us!!
How was everyone's week? I love you all!! 사랑해요! 보고싶어요! I miss you!

사랑하는,
슬론 자매
Sister Sloan
Sunday night dinner and this wasn't even half of it.

Elder...I mean Brother Sohn

Sister Hwang and I ended our exchange with Hot Chocolate and a Smoothie

The strangest statue. It's apparently an dangerous-semi-traditional Korean game...I don't want to know.

My companion had a laugh attack/maybe mental breakdown for who knows why. #loveher #kimcheewater

Playing soccer for the ward activity

Most of our new English class students playing soccer with us!  Love them!

Our house!



No comments:

Post a Comment