Monday, February 10, 2014

Welcome Sister Bagley!

2/3-2/9
Monday was a good PDAY. We met up with a few companionships from the zone to have lunch together. Since this is Elder Breckwoldt's last PDAY he wanted to eat 서정리 보신탕 인계동... Also known as Dog soup! Most of the sisters that came were squirming at the idea, but seriously how many opportunities will you have to say that you ate dog? The elders and I weren't helping the situation by walking in, taking a good whiff through the nose, and saying "Mmm smells like puppies." Mean, I know, but their reaction was funny. Anyway, I am proud to say I ate it, but honestly it just tasted like stingy beef. There was also a lot of fat, that tasted greasy so I avoided eating more than one piece. All in all it was good but maybe it wasn't worth the 15 bucks for another bowl. After that, all of the sisters (Bassett, Goines, Telford, Ward, and of course my companion Tovar) left to go eat some real food. I love those sisters them. We had a good time. After that, it was about 4PM we all went our separate ways to run errands. By 5PM Sister Tovar and I were home so I could begin packing. It didn't take long so we were out on the streets in no time.

At 7:30PM we had an appointment with our investigators (김지원B, 김지윤S <which I have been misspelling, 채두원B, and our newest member 장종철B). One was on time but the other three showed up maybe 20 minutes late. It was no problem, we just socialized and had plenty of time to try and explain transfers. When the whole crowd showed up we free talked for 30 minutes then went into our lesson. At the beginning, we discovered that they didn't complete their homework assignment so Sister Tovar and I put our lesson plans aside to read it and answer their questions with them. We read Moroni 7 but only had time to read up until verse 30. After reading we were able to cover two of the three questions. One question was found in verses 18 and 20, "how is it possible that ye can lay hold upon every good thing?" Brother Chay who we assigned I answer quickly pointed to verse 22 which says, "...in Christ there should come every good thing." Bingo! Next, was a question from verses 27 and 29, "...have miracles ceased?" At first none of them understood because of the strange words in theKorean Book of Mormon so after I explained I asked Brother Kim to read verse 29 which reads, "Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men." After reading he stared at it for a second, his facial expression was surprised, but also kind of enlightened when he looked up and said, "Ahh~ that's pretty cool." Both Sister Tovar and I smiled. Sister Tovar went on to explain a little miracle that happened to us this week.

Because it was a big holiday Sister Tovar was really hoping to receive a dinner invitation from a member so she could experience the Chinese New Year the Korean way. All week she waited and nothing. The day of the mission conference, nothing. Not until 3PM did the elders receive a text from 안순안S inviting all of the missionaries over at 7PM that night. She was elated. After, she shared this all four of them looked liked they had an 'Ah ha' moment. Then clarified that it didn't have to be Moses parting the Res Sea for it to be a miracle, it is just the small things that happen to help bring us happiness from our Heavenly Father. BINGO!! Next Sister Kim spoke up and explained a time when a small miracle happened to her. Dang! The spirt was so strong!! We quickly wrapped up with testimonies and asked them to please read the rest before Friday. We prayed, took a bunch of goodbye pictures, and left. Awesome night!

Tuesday was an early start. By 10AM my companion and I arrived at the mission home so I could attend my first missionary coordinating meeting. Apparently someone forgot to inform me that I should have arrived at 9:30... I was embarrassed to walk in on a room full of reverent leaders spiritually preparing for the meeting. I'm sure I made a real good impression haha. After we began, one of the first things that we did was stand up and share where we served, where we were called, and what responsibility we now have. President called but before I could speak he listed off the missionaries that were transferred to Suwon (companionship became a three-man team and Sister Tovar received a new companion). It seemed like an irrelevant detail until he said, "That's right, we had to send three people to try and replace Sister Sloan." Quite the introduction aye? It felt good hearing that from him even though it was a joke ha. I love President Morrise! The rest of the meeting went well. It was a longgg day (10-4) but worth it to train the rest of the zone on President Morrise's vision for the next month.

Traveling back was a headache. Once we returned to Suwon, time for dinner had come and gone. Instead English class was about to begin so we fretted our students at the church. Today was game day and so much fun! I let the kids run around with my camera to capture all of the candid moments. I love those children!! I don't know all of their names but I do know that I will never forget the fun we had finding them on the street and teaching them at English class. It was an extremely fun night! When class ended, our four investigators came and said a deeper goodbye. It was sad to leave them. I have full faith in them that they will one day join this amazingly fulfilling gospel. I love them. To end the night we had a missionary coordinating meeting with our leader. He brought McDonalds- not a choice favorite but I was pretty hungry so I was grateful. The meeting went well but again, it was sad to say goodbye.

Wednesday was transfer day! Another early morning without exercise- bummer. My bags were packed, desk cleared, and elders were warned of the weight that they volunteered to carry for me haha. Elders Breckwoldt and Giles are awesome! They did not complain a single time, instead they helped and were asked what else they could do. They are fantastic missionaries, I love them. Our first stop together was 신도림 (Shin Do Lim) subway stop. That is where we meet all of the missionaries to swap companions and say our goodbyes. I was anxious to get to the mission home so I grabbed Sister Gapinski and left with Elders Miller and Chow. The four of us had a pretty fun time traveling for another TWO HOURS to the mission home... it really was fun though.

First was lunch, training, then the awkward moment where they have each companionship greet each other for the first time in front of everyone. I was the first sister called and I was paired with a Sister Bagley from American Fork, UT. She is so fun and happy. I really have a good feeling about our friendship and companionship. She is ready to work crazy hard and tackle our new area together. It's going to be a party. After more training we were free to go. I had to coordinate a few things for our new house and new cell phone but after no time we were set to go. On our way our President Morrise made the comment reminding elders to shine their shoes. I smirked and said, "Whoops, I'm already a bad example haha" as I looked down at my not-so-shinny boots. Almost immediately President Morrise got down on his knees, spread out a small towel in front of me and told me to step on it. I was resistant, telling him that I would shine my own shoes but he strongly insisted. It only took him about 2 minutes but still, what an amazing example and humble man. I love my mission president!!!

When it was time to leave, a couple of elders from our new ward came to greet and guide us. These elders prepared SO well for us. I am extremely grateful!! Not only did the other set of elders take my suitcases to our house but both set of elders cleaned our apartment, made an area book, and made sure all necessary appliances and pieces of furniture were ready and waiting for us. I love them so much. I have never felt more open in an area. Granted it is only my third, but this was unbelievable how helpful and willing they were to make us feel welcome and at ease. After another two-hour subway and bus ride, we arrived at our new home! 14th floor with a pretty cool view. It was 8PM by the time we dropped the bags off and we were all pretty hungry. We walked to Pizza School for a quick dinner before calling it a night and letting Sister Bagley get to bed. That poor girl was falling asleep as we were walking.

Thursday was a good day. Even though Sister Bagley and I had no time to unpack yesterday or today we still managed to put ourselves together for our zone meeting. I had a meeting with the other leadership in the zone but nothing too eventful happened there. The training was good. It was the same stuff that was discussed at MLC which I attended on Tuesday, but still the zone leaders, Elders Schofield and Thompson did a fantastic job at inviting the spirit and training us all so well. They are stand up missionaries.

After training, Elder Knapp went on an exchange with Elder Prunner so they guided us home. Again, so thoughtful. Once home, Sister Bagley and I did our studies and then got to work on the street. We talked to a bunch of people and a had a good time together. She is ready to hit the ground running which makes me so excited! We are both so excited to meet the ward and just set this area on fire with missionary work! It is so refreshing to have a companion who thinks, talks, and most Koreans think look like me haha. Already we have been approached and asked to take pictures and talk with people haha. What can we say? This is going to be a fun few months!

Friday was a fun day. All morning we studied and then decided to finish weekly planning at the end of the day. It was a successful day talking to people. Sister Bagley is still a little apprehensive to start conversations she knows that she cannot finish but I kept telling her that I would be either right behind or beside her. She did great!! Her pronunciation is already awesome and her understanding is way better than most greenies. I'm so proud to call her my daughter. :) Before heading home for dinner we met up with the elders to discuss a new English flyer. My last area's English class was amazing and from what I hear the English class here had about 2-3 regular students. No way am I going to let this suffer anymore haha. I have found that this service that missionaries provide is the best finding tool to eventually teach and baptize people. After a little collaboration Sister Bagley and I went home to the day end with weekly planning. It went so smoothly. Mostly because Sister Bagley just doesn't know what missionfield life is all about but no worries, she will pick it up in no time.

Saturday was a good day. Today we had English class at about 3PM, kind of a strange time but it was fun. Only two students showed up and they came with questions so the lesson Sister Bagley and I prepared went untaught. Here were four missionaries at one table helping this woman named Amanda (English name of course). She is in her fifties, divorced, and raising her one son (about 20 years old now). She made a few comments that we were pretty intimidating so Elder Berry took it upon himself to answer her questions which made it so the three of us, my companionship and Elder Higham, were left to talk amongst ourselves. It was fun. After class we made a new English flyer then went our separate ways. Just before dinner time Sister Bagley and I received a call and invitation from our new bishop to come to his house for dinner. We had just eaten dinner but we went anyway.

We arrived with Elder Berry and Elder Higham. Bishop had our companionship share a spiritual message before we ate. It went well. Sister Bagley is really well prepared from the MTC. I envy her ability to learn so quickly. After the message we ate. It was a huge plate full of rice and pork. And I mean HUGE! My poor companion was struggling so I ate my plate and more than half of hers. In Korea it is polite to not leave a single grain of rice left over. People are dramatic and say that if you do it shows that you don't appreciate every little thing they do for you. I'm not sure how ancient that custom is but anyway, I've always taken caution on the safe side of eating everything I'm given. It was delicious but believe me 배가터질것갇았었어요 (it seemed that my stomach was going to explode) haha. I helped clear the table and tried to clean up. Like always the wife rejected but I was persistent. I kept saying, "Should I use this sponge?" Always she said no. Then I would point to another, "This sponge?" Haha she eventually gave it. The family was grateful and in return they showed us around their house- good sign of trust by the way. It was a very productive visit. I love this family!

Sunday was awesome! 10AM was church. This congregation does the meetings a little out of order (Relief Society and Priesthood classes first, next Sunday School, and last Sacrament meeting). You think the elders would have filled us in but they didn't haha. In the first hour I introduced myself and Sister Bagley. This ward so so stoked to have sister missionaries now. We felt very loved. I also introduced a signup sheet that I had used in my last ward for women to signup for a time to allow our companionship to come to their home and provide us with a practice teaching opportunity a total of 16 appointments were made! Who needs investigators when you have an awesome ward? Haha just kidding but seriously the schedule went from nothing to now we'll have to run to each appointment. We are excited!

When it came time for sacrament meeting all the new missionaries spoke. First was Elder Higham (from Canada and has been her for 3 months), next was me (from California and have been here for 9 months), and last Sister Bagley (from Utah and has been here for a whopping 5 days!). After we spoke all the missionaries sang 'I Need Three Every Hour' and then three more speakers followed. It was a great meeting.

After was lunch with some families from the ward then we had to leave to meet the district for a street boarding activity. That was fun. The best part was watching how everyone picked on our District Leader, Elder Griffin. He is balding and a vegetarian so you can imagine how easy it is to mess around with him. My favorite line of the day was made by 우동리 (Elder Woo) quoting a scripture found in Doctrine and Covenants 9:14 which reads, "Stand fast in the work wherewith I have called you, and a hair of your head shall not be lost, and you shall be lifted up at the last day." HAHAHA I laughed so hard. Elder Griffin was a good sport by saying, "I know, I know, I need to work harder." Haha dang it was hilarious!! I love this district.

After street boarding together we all returned to our apartments for dinner. By 8PM all four elders from our ward and our companionship met back at the church for a meeting with our ward missionary leader. It was a great meeting! He shared his conversion story and really encouraged us to teach and testify of the Book of Mormon on the street. They ward is on fire, I love it. Also he talked about setting a goal to make at least four member visits a week. It was awkward to tell him that we needed to up the goal because that week we were quadruple the goal haha. He was blown away and so happy to hear how prepared all of us missionaries are. It was a proud moment. I'm so excite to be here in Mansu!! Now all Sister Bagley and I need is a map and idea of where all of these members live haha. This week is going to be awesome and crazy!!

Did everyone have a good week? 사랑해요! I love you! 보고싶어요! I miss you!

슬론 자매
Sister Sloan
Season Soup.  It's a rice cake soup.  It is said that when you eat this soup, you gain a year of life.  Maybe I will be 100 years old when I return.  Members have fed this A LOT lately.

Side dish.  It's different sea creatures and vegetables cooked with egg.  Yum.

Traditional Korean snack.  Also Season. It takes 8 days to make.  It's a pure rice product.  Puffed rice with flakes on the top that stick with what I thought was honey.  It's rice you boil for an entire day.

This is the PC room that we email from each week.  It's strange and most aren't safe environments for missionaries, but anyway here is a picture for memory sake.

Dog Soup.

First bite of dog!  Elder Jeong in the background is so ashamed and grossed out by the foreigners eating dog soup.  Ha ha

Tastes like pork #disappointed

Sister Bassett, Sister Goines and Elder Jensen

Training again. Meet Sister Bagley from American Fork, UT

View from our apartment on the 14th Floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment