Monday was a fun PDAY! Sister Bagley and I discovered an underground shopping center in 부평 (BuPyung). Everything was so cheap! I found a few good shirts for summer- all less than $5, 2 pairs of Oxford shoes- $5 each, a vest, and a bunch of adoringly cute earrings for just a dollar each! Shopping is so much fun- especially in Korea where everything is either super out there, extremely cute, or just straight up unique. Asians have fashion figured out! Before heading home we grabbed some delicious 떡볶이 (rice cakes and ramen swimming in spicy Korean sauce). Once home, PDAY time was about over. We got ourselves ready to meet 이미영S (Sister Lee) and her daughter 최재인S (Jane). Today we taught the rest of the commandments and played the commandments board game I made. We had a blast!! Awesome day.
Tuesday was quite the day. Today, the monthly Missionary Leadership Council (MLC) meeting was held in 송파 (Songpa) and as a sister training leader, I am expected to attend. In our effort to be on time, Sister Bagley and I woke up at 5:30AM. We got ready quickly and were on our way. As we boarded our first subway, I realized that maybe we didn't have to be traveling quite so early since the meeting started at 10AM... My bad! That's my lesson-learned not to let me do math right before I go to sleep haha. With the extra hour we had, Sister Bagley and I decided to make a pitstop in 영등포 (YungDungPo) where Costco was. We were in and out in no time, but regardless of the little time spend inside, it didn't change the amount of stuff that we dubbed worthy to buy. ㅋㅋ We left with a good-sized box and half-heartedly regretting our purchases as we carried it to the subway station, on the subway, and to the mission home...
The meeting today was 6 hours long! President Morrise trained us on making study plans and the importance of SYL (speaking your language [as much as possible]). As a result all 6 hours of the training was in Korean! That was hard, to say the least. Between not understanding very well and being bored with hearing the same lectures, I kept having a reoccurring thought... I know training is for our benefit but sometimes I feel like we are trained so much merely to fulfill the requirement of 'X' amount of meetings per month or transfer. Today the training wasn't too enlightening. We were reviewing the same basic stuff that we all know- I would have preferred to be out doing missionary work as opposed to sitting in a room talking about missionary work. Maybe I need to readjust my attitude, but today I was ready to work with barely any time to actually do it.
By 4PM the meeting ended, Sister Bagley and I reunited and we were off. The large Costco box somehow got heavier, but it was mostly funny seeing everyone's reactions. Amongst the fun, I put us on a train going in the right direction, or so I thought. There are things called speed trains and also a variety of trains/subways that are the same color, but have different routes. I have been okay about figuring out the difference but today the smile on my face turned into tears rolling down my cheeks in frustration. I don't cry often but for some reason today this was more than I could handle. Starting with that 6 hour-Korean only-humbling meeting, to the inability to get us going on the correct train, I felt totally helpless. I knew exactly what needed to change, but with no control or knowledge as to how. Sister Bagley was very sweet and tolerant of me and my meltdown. I am grateful for her.
While trying to figure the trains out, I called Elder Berry for a favor. I was frustrated and my Korean wasn't up to par to make a phone call to our fast approaching appointment with a member. I asked him to call to either inform her that we would be late or that we needed to reschedule. He sensed my frustration and probably heard the apparent quiver on my lip, so he made the call. Maybe 2 minutes later he was calling back to tell us that the member didn't care when we arrived, she was more concerned that maybe we were hungry haha. That was exactly the reaction I needed from her. What a sweet lady!! I stepped aside to offer a prayer of thanks to God for softening this members heart instead of her being frustrated. And after that blessing, they just started flowing. The next train approaching was a speed train going directly to the stop we needed. Then as we waited for a bus, so many generous people let Sister Bagley and I board before them even though we had that retarded box, and as I sat on the bus I was able to have a fantastic conversation with a woman who was consequently going to the same apartment complex as us. My mind was put at ease, I knew Heavenly Father was aware of my stress and He was really helping me and Sister Bagley out.
The member appointment was way fun and the food was awesome. Since we arrived late there wasn't much time for a lesson. Instead the husband and wife showed us to their car to give us a ride home- another blessing!
Wednesday was a more productive day. Our district met up for an activity to pick up trash. Elder Griffin, our DL, is obsessed with picking up garbage. I do think it can be a good thing but not today when he chose the cleanest park in our zone, a time of day when people were either at school or work, and in a location where zero people were roaming. So when I said it was a productive day, I was not referring to this. It was fun but we left to meet a less-active member, 정혜연S (Sister Jeong). She was so lovely as always. We started with small talk, but then it naturally evolved to talking about prayer. Her baptismal service took place only a few months ago but somehow she lost interest or motivation to keep coming out to church. Today her concern was why she felt God's love before her baptism but not now. We explain a few things, shared some experiences, and left her a prayer. It was such a good visit! She even texted us after with a picture of where she hung the message card that we gave her. She is so cute.
On our way home we came across some paintings on a random stairway. They were so cute! Asians are professional at making everything so adorable- graffiti included. Once home, we had dinner. Our next lesson cancelled so we stayed in to do callbacks (calling records of former investigators). We called a woman with the English name of Sunny (김문선S). She was the sweetest! We set a time to meet tomorrow and hung up. Maybe 10 minutes later she called back and broke down on the phone. She first explained the events of her hard day and then went on to express her confusion about her unfaithful husband. It was heartbreaking to hear. She is putting a divorce on hold to see if anything changes in him, for the sake of their 11 year old daughter. Sunny wants to know if there is a God and how to learn to forgive. It was an unbelievably awesome lesson through the phone. We were so grateful that everything fell into place so that Sister Bagley and I could be in the right place at the right time. I think we maybe called 40 people and of those we found one woman who was really hurting. "...and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy" (Doctrine and Covenants 18:15), our joy was overflowing.Thursday... Today is my year mark on my mission... Which means I've been in Korea for 10 months... WHAT THE?! ㅋㅋ Mission life and time goes by SO FAST!
Anyway, today was zone training. The zone leaders (Schofield and Thompson) focused on creating lesson plans and language study plans. It was a decent training. When it ended it was time for another exchange. After speaking with Sunny last night we discovered that she didn't live in our area but in the neighboring city of 연수 (YunSu). It was happenstance that I had scheduled an exchange with those sister- it's funny how The Lord works. I left with Sister Hammerl (my former ten-day companion) while Sister Bagley and 황예림S (Sister Hwang) left to meet Sunny. I heard the lesson was awesome- I envy them. Sister Hammerl and I stayed in YunSu and visited less-active members with no success. The rest of the evening we spent doing 가가호호 (tracting door to door). It was actually semi-successful. To celebrate my year mark, Sister Hammerl and I ate 팥빙수 (PotBingSu) for dessert before calling it a day. Yum!!
Friday, I had an awesome personal study!! I think I love going on exchanges where I am junior companion, because I'm not primarily responsible for the companionship phone. Which means my studies have zero interruption. It has been a while since I've had this kind of study. I was reading through a talk called "We Are All Enlisted" by Jeffery R. Holland from 2011 October Conference. It is fantastic! Here he is recounting Joseph Smith's experience with Satan before Joseph experiences 'the first vision' where he saw God, The Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ. Elder Holland said the following,
"Here... in the Sacred Grove... Joseph recorded that in an effort to oppose all that lay ahead, Lucifer exerted “such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak.”
"As President Boyd K. Packer taught this morning, Satan cannot directly take a life. That is one of many things he cannot do. But apparently his effort to stop the work will be reasonably well served if he can just bind the tongue of the faithful."What a statement!! After reading this I recalled what Elder Griffin had said in our most recent District Meeting when we were talking about having conversations with people on the street. We have a standard set to speak with as many people as possible- all those we come in contact with. Elder Griffin reminded us of that and said, "but sometimes we walk on the streets thinking, I'll talk to everyone... except those of the opposite sex, who don't look happy, who don't look busy, who have headphones in, and so on." Elder Holland encourages everyone to "sign on and speak up!" I'm here, I've signed up, now it is my time to speak! It was so motivating. Satan can't bind my tongue! ㅋㅋ
After we unsplit, that is when the fun began! Sister Bagley and I had 4 appointments in a row! It was crazy and fun, I'll spare the boring details and get straight to the good stuff. First, we met 김보희S (Sister Kim). When our lesson ended and we were packing up to leave, she was hardly paying attention to her squirming baby she was holding so consequently her baby did a series of flips in the air before he mother caught her upside down against her thigh. We all gasped and were happy the baby was just startled, it could have been bad! But just imagine a baby flying like that through the air... It's hard not to laugh, looking back.
Next 최재인S (Jane). Today was our last appointment before her baptismal service tomorrow! We encouraged her to bear her testimony, but she was way scared. She practiced maybe 15 times before she agreed. She is so cute!! We ate a delicious 비빔밥 (spicy rice and vegetable dish- a favorite of mine) made by her mother, 이미영S (Sister Lee). It was beyond entertaining watching Jane and her younger brother (최준혁B) fight/ love on each other. They are the perfect Asian family.
Next, we arrived at 이두례S (Sister Lee's) house for what we thought to just be a lesson. We gave a warm welcome to dinner number two. It was pizza! Nom~ As always it was a blast at her house. She is one sarcastic Korean, which is rare so it's part of why we love her. Also I think that maybe the most embarrassing slash most hilarious part was when the food was gone, I leaded back in my chair, grabbed my gut, and said "와~ 음식 애기!" Which directly translates to, "Woah~ food baby!" Resulting in a huge burst of laughter from my companion and a look of confusion her Sister Lee and her 26 year old that joined us. Sister Lee just said "어떻게?" Meaning, 'Sister Sloan, what is wrong with you?' It was hilarious. Once the initial awkward laughter from my retard statement subsided, it took a turn for the worse resulting in mine and Sister Bagley's uncontrollably laughter... At what you might ask? Absolutely nothing. But also each other haha. It was a blast.
Our last appointment of the day was fun. The other eight-year-old girl preparing for her baptism tomorrow, 김윤빈S (YoonBein), wanted us to come over. We played the commandment game and ate fruit with her family. They are quite the hyper bunch- love them. On our way home I had a cool experience talking to a student I sat next to on the bus. Remember what I learned in personal study? Well this girl looked mad AND had headphones in. Didn't phase me... I opened my mouth to talk to her. She was lovely and I know it was blessing. We were late getting home but we were whipped so no time was wasted getting to bed. One of the best Friday nights I've had on my mission. I love Sister Bagley!
Saturday was great! It started with an appointment with a potential investigator, 김하나S (Chloe) who is our newer investigator. She is extremely interested in English so I was very clear that that wasn't our purpose of coming to Korea. After the fact was established, I was worried that maybe I was being too bold but in the moment it seemed to be fitting so I'll take that. The lesson went well too. She has been turned off to the idea of religion from past experiences so maybe we'll be starting from zero, but I'm up for it. I really like her.
Next was English class which only a few people showed for. Before the baptism we talked to people on the street and grabbed some hot chocolate at Dunkin Doughnuts.
The baptismal service was so fantastic!! I love Janey and YoonBein so much. They are growing up so fast. ㅋㅋ That moment when I am sad that they aren't my children haha. Just before Janey bore her testimony she ran over to me in a panic, she forgot her scriptures. I quickly handed her mine and squeezed her hand, I love her!On our way home, we planned to spend the remainder of our day on the streets talking with people. As we walked 이두례S (Sister Lee) pulled up in her car, honked, and motioned for us to get in. She drove us home and before we knew it Sister Bagley and I were comfortably sitting at our desks with the phone and list of former investigators to call, in hand. Earlier in the day when we decided against doing callbacks but after a series of events, that is exactly where we found ourselves. We went with it and guess what?! We went two for two with two successful phone calls! It was a miracle how willing the two women, that we called, were to listen and agree for us to either refer them of make an appointment with them. I love how The Lord works! Missionary Work is the best!
Sunday was another great day. Nothing too eventful took place but Sister Bagley and I sure had a lot of fun at church and during our weekly planning session... Yep that's about it haha. It was extremely productive, but monotonous. We had a fantastic week!
I love you all!! 사랑해요! 보고싶어요! I miss you!
사랑하는,
슬론 자매
Sister Sloan














No comments:
Post a Comment