Sunday, March 30, 2014

Why Pray?

3/24-30
Monday, the missionaries serving in our ward decided to eat lunch together before heading to a 목욕탕 (MokYohkTang). If you're curious what that is, it's a public bath/ sauna. Of course it is gender separate but it was mine and Sister Bagley's first experience today. We were hoping that because it was a Monday, it would be vacant but in actuality it was pretty poppin' with a swarm of grandmas... Once we got our locker, we waited for someone to arrive in order to follow their lead. There were four pools, two sauna rooms, and about 40 vanities... I'll spare the awkward details but after about an hour Sister Bagley and I were ready to go haha. I'll be honest and say that I am a prude. By the end of that whole experience I had a better memory of what the ceiling looked like as opposed to all of the Korean grandmas that we were forced to hangout with. I love Korea and the culture, but I think this part of the experience will be my first and last.

After the sauna, Sister Bagley and I ran errands before PDAY time was up. Just before it ended, our only appointment cancelled. The rest of the evening was spent on the street talking to a bunch of people. It was fun.

Tuesday was mostly spent proselyting. It was a strange day. The weather was overcast and no one was outside. It is warming up here, but the sun decided not to make an appearance today which kept everyone inside. Even though our contact stat was low, somehow it felt productive. For dinner we stopped at a cafe for a snack waffle. On our way in a cute little plant caught our eye... It was a cactus and we fell in love. It was only three dollars so we bought ourselves a pet-cactus. We love it. For the rest of dinner time we took a nap haha. I swear we are not lazy but the calm, gloomy weather got to us. When we woke up we were right back on the streets when 백용실B (Brother Beak) called us. He needed a home teaching partner tonight. It was a little strange for girls to join him but hey, we are friends so we joined. It went well and I had a chance to share a spiritual experience too. It was an awesome visit. To end the evening Sister Bagley and I grabbed a small pizza from Pizza School and scarfed it down as we planned for the next day.

Wednesday started with District meeting. Elder Berry is our new DL. I was excited when he was called because he is a very too-the-point kind of guy. He is also amazing at Korean so it was very fitting that his first training was assigned to train on language study plans. Normally our meetings are an hour and a half but today he crammed it down to less than one haha. We read through PMG chapter 7 together by when I say read through, I meant that we each took a turn reading a title and Elder Berry would say, "Okay, that's self-explanatory. Next!" It was funny. The Zone Leaders even came to observe but a Elder Berry did not care to impress anyone- just to the point and then we were all out of there haha. I did walk away with a few new ideas of how to study but anyway it was mostly fun.

With the extra time given, we were able to arrive to our next appointment a little early. 정혜연S (HayeYohn)'s shop is always busy but she still took time to sit and talk with us. Sister Bagley under I told a few crazy stories that happened last week; we had her laughing pretty hard. Also HaheYohn is convinced that we are rivals because we always want to talk over each other to beat the other to the punch line haha. It is a massive struggle though, our Koran story-telling skills aren't up to par but it's way fun trying haha. Eventually we switched to a short spiritual thought about the importance of prayer and scripture study. HayeYohn loved it and was so cute when she gave the closing prayer. Her words were so sincere and heartfelt, I definitely felt the spirit! But right in the middle, a man walked in to buy some cigarettes. She told God she was sorry and to hold on for just a minute haha. Sister Bagley and I held our prayer positions while peaking with one eye and trying not to laugh. It was so adorable to watch her running back to the little table in the back with her hands clasped so tightly together to finish her prayer. It was so good! We really love her!!

Immediately after the prayer we said our goodbyes and met the new 가정 (KahJohng) sister missionaries at the subways station for an exchange. Sister Blickenstaff and 이소민S opened that area for sisters last week. Sister Blickenstaff is training and opening for her first time so I decided to goto her area with her to help out. We talked a lot about what has and hasn't worked for me on my mission but I really feel like she had a pretty good handle on everything there. First on the list of things to do was dinner. When we arrived back to their house, I was immediately overcome with SO MUCH JEALOUSY! I should have taken pictures, but there house is so nice and so huge!! I feel like I have been jipped on my mission because even though I have opened two of my whopping three areas, our houses have always been way old. Oh well, I enjoyed their house while I could. It was a blast serving with her, she has only been here for 7 months, but her language ability is through the roof! I'm jealous.

Thursday was a good morning. During studies I gave my training. I feel like Sister Blickenstaff actually cared to hear what I had to say and she was really appreciative for the time I took to prepare. It felt good to have someone acknowledge that. As the day continued, we confirmed a few less-active member's houses and talked to a lot of people on the street. She is a hard worker! I am grateful to have the opportunity to serve with her in our zone.

When we unsplit it was stressful for Sister Bagley and I to find the right bus in order to make it back for an appointment. Our options were running out and so was our time. I had no choice, but to flag down a taxi. The taxi man was way fun! Taxis are expensive, but he gave us a nice discount because we spoke good Korean haha- booyah! Upon our arrival, we ran to meet our member then we had to speed walk to the house of our miracle 15 year old- 정현지S (HyonChe).  She and her mother were waiting for us. Out English time went by quickly, as did the gospel message. The mother (이윤자S) and younger sister (정호경S) sat in to listen. HyonChe read her homework very well and understood it too! She is seriously so prepared! Once our time was up, the younger sister wanted us to stay and watch a few magic tricks that she learned. It was cute. I showed the one card trick I learned in middle school and they loved it haha. After having fun together the mother asked us to stay another 30ish minutes in order to have an opportunity to meet her husband, HyonChe's father! We were honored and so excited to meet him. Sister Bagley and I taught a card game while we waited. Upon 정소영B (Brother Jeong)'s arrival, he joined the game. We had a blast together! After the game, he explained to us how he met missionaries in the past and why he wanted his daughter to begin coming to our church. They are such a prepared family! We invited them to all be taught together next week and they accepted!! We have a whole family as investigators!! A FAMILY! We feel so blessed. It was a fantastic way to end the day. We are also so grateful for 이은성S (Sister Lee) from the ward that has come our to every lesson with her. Sister Lee was on cloud nine when we got on the elevator after the appointment. It was a night well spent!

Friday was a busy day. After weekly planning we had two appointments. The first was a practice lesson with 이은성S and her family. Her kids are so awesome. It was super fun because after the lesson, her sons were going on and on about how they are abused at school... Sister Bagley and I were so sad but these boys thought it was hilarious for some reason. We were reassured that this is normal for boy schools but not for girls... It was funny though because I made the comment that I was happy to be a girl but I was quickly reminded by the second youngest daughter that we have to give birth so our pain will more than outweigh the pain of school punishment for boys haha. Their family is a riot.

When we left we had a dinner appointment with our momma 이두례S (Sister Lee). Last week her and her husband went on a vacation to Vietnam and she was itching to see us. Her non-member husband was home and we had fun looking at pictures and joking around with him. He is a police officer and such a cool guy- we need to get him baptized. One funny thing that happened at dinner was when I had finished all my food, I leaned back in my chair and told Sister Lee that I ate well. To which re replied in English with a cute Asian accent, "Food baby?" Hahaha! Sister Bagley and I laughed so hard while her husband sat confused. I was so shocked that she remembered my idiotic remark from a few weeks ago. It was a little embarrassing, but mostly funny.

Before leaving Sister Lee was preparing food and towels (of all things haha) for us to take home. Sister Bagley and I seized the opportunity to clean her kitchen. She kept telling us to stop but I would say back, "오, 죄송합니다! 만국말 잘 못해요!" (Oh, sorry! I don't speak Korean well) haha. She glared at us as we smiled back. I'm sure our mothers remembered that look.

When the kitchen was clean and a bag was packed for us to take home, Sister Lee grabbed her keys and gave us a ride home. I do want to mention that this was a miracle! After unsplitting both Sister Bagley and I were out of money, because while on splits maybe we had to pay for the other sisters to get around, because they were broke. Anyway, we were out of money and we left the house with faith that everything would work out, and guess what? It did. I was on edge all day but hey, He really came through for us in the end. He's the best.

Saturday was bizz-yy! First was farming. We prepared about 10+ rows to plant sweet potatoes next week. It isn't hard work, just time consuming. Of all our members, only men come. Each of them think that they know the best way to farm so the majority of our time is spent being corrected, trying out each man's so called 'way' of farming.  It's a blast.  Also, the ward a group on naver.com called a 'Band' where they all can upload pictures and videos for all to see. I've made it a phrase when talking to 백용실S when any of the missionaries do anything silly, I say, "Put it on the band!" I cannot wait to see all that ends up on there when I get home haha.

Immediately after farming, Sister Bagley and I ate lunch and then had three consecutive appointments. The first was with 김하나S (HahNah). She is 24 and super interested in English. However today when it came time for our gospel message we talked all about her questions and thoughts on prayer. It was so good! I really feel like Sister Bagley and I were guided by the spirit the whole time!! At one point, Sister Bagley turned to me and asked me to share an experience. It went as follows:

A couple weeks ago I was studying the book of Enos in the Book of Mormon. It is a short account but anyway it is all about prayer. While reading this I had a thought thinking about the importance of prayer. I thought, 'Well if God's will is going to come about one way or another, what is the point in praying or asking?" After pondering this question I turned to my father and asked his thoughts. He told me that as my father, he sees me in my life- watching from a distance he can judge my needs fairly well. But with that distance he waits to help until I ask. Of course if I need immediate help, comfort, or encouragement- he is there, but for the most part he is just waiting for me to ask. Maybe this the same way God works. He is all-knowing. He is aware of our hard times and out triumphs but as a way to exercise out faith, He gives us the opportunity to pray and ask for Him to step in.

After sharing this with our investigator, something seemed to click in her brain. Earlier in the lesson we followed up about her praying last week. She said she had, but was mostly just going through the motions. HahNah compared prayer to being a verbal journal. She was a little confused about who she was talking to and the point of significance behind it but after our lesson I think she will see and feel the difference as she continues to pray this week. It was such a good lesson!

Not even ten minutes after ending, our next potential investigator showed up. 구혜연S (Sister Koo) but she goes by her English name, Amanda. Everyone in Incheon knows Amanda. She has been taught by missionaries as far back as 2005. Before Sister Bagley and I opened the area (만수 (MahnSu)) for sister missionaries, she was meeting with the 계산 sister missionaries. This week they finally came to their senses and referred her to us. Amanda's main interest is English. We all know this, because she has been attending almost every English class held by our church in the whole Incheon area haha. She is hilarious. In the lesson Sister Bagley and I decided to cut right to the chase. We talked about baptism and the third lesson, Jesus Christ's Gospel. She wasn't ready to set a date but we ended us talking all about the spirit with her over the last nine years of people taught, the missionaries never seemed to bother telling her the importance of the spirit. We had the opportunity to identify it for her and she seemed to really have her heart and mind opened to our message. I love her! It was a great lesson!

As soon as we finished, it was time for English class. None of the kids for mine and Sister Bagley's class showed up but guess who did?! Some old friends from 수원 (Suwon)! 이상훈B, 정태호B, and 강명인B!! What a surprise!! I was so happy to be able to introduce Sister Bagley to my friends from my last area that I had talked so much about. I have missed them. We were able to catch up during English class then to our for dinner and dessert. Man, I cannot even begin to express how much fun it was to see them again. They were on their way back home from Seoul anyway but the fact that they made a last minute pitstop to visit me seriously made my day. I love them!

Sunday was fantastic!! Everything was off to a good start when the sun decided to make an appearance and warm up the city streets. Today marks the first day that we left the house without a coat~ If anything, the happy sun made the day that much brighter find everyone else that much happier. Also, 정현지S (HyonChe) came to church again! This time she came with a gift for the members that have been coming to our gospel lessons. It was very sweet of her. During Young Women's class Sister Bagley and I did a member split so that one of us could be represented in Relief Society. The women of the ward really help us out a lot so we wanted to show our appreciation and support by being there with them. It turned out to be successful. Sacrament meeting was good, but also had a few surprises. Apparently during Young Men/Young Women's they had practiced a special musical number that they roped our investigator into. Sister Bagley and I participated too... I had zero notice but hey, anything to help HyonChe feel comfortable right? She is the BEST! I cannot wait for her whole family to start coming to church.

When the meetings ended we ate lunch as a ward. Once the cleaning was done 유경숙S (Sister You) filled a giant rice cooker pot to the brim with radishes. She needed help cutting so I quickly grabbed a knife and got to work. Eventually Sister You roped enough people in so it was done in no time. I even taught a couple of kids how to use a knife properly haha. Oh! Funny side note- there is a mental, not all the way there, man in the ward; his English name is George. While I was cutting 이두례S said, "I bet you help your mother out a lot." To which George replied in English saying, "You will be a good bride." I just smiled and said, "That's the goal George, that's the goal." It was pretty funny.

Anyway, after we finished cutting and cleaning that up, we left to proselyte with some of our awesome members. Like last week, we went to the huge Incheon park where we did a member split for about an hour. I was with 유경숙S and Sister Bagley was with 이두례S. We contacted almost 50 people, received a promising number, learned a couple Korean children songs, and took cute pictures together. All in all, it was successful. 이두례S gave is a ride home where we ate dinner and then head to our ward missionary coordination meeting. I love Sundays so much! As a missionary, they aren't too different from everyday missionary work but somehow they always end up being the happiest days. Also it helps that we LOVE our members and our investigators so much!! 만수 is the place to be!!

Have a good week!!
I love you all!! 사랑해요! 보고싶어요! I miss you!
사랑하는,
슬론 자매
Sister Sloan
Today, some members took me and Sister Bagley to a park to proselyte.  It was a blast.  So cool. 
Still in the greenhouse. 
Pano

Art

Beautiful sunset.

Q: Hoe many patterns can I wear in one outfit? A: I'm in Korea-there are no rules!! 
So there is this thing here where they organize their trash for recycling purposes..No diim for landfills.  It's smart, but also gross...

Cute murals.

I love this picture!! The old man and the Asian paintings are a perfect depiction of what I see every day.


So cute.

Love ya, Family!!!

Echange with Sister Bickerstaff.  I love her.  She went to Newbury Park High School!!

Look who came to visit?  He's engaged to be married in Salt Lake on May 24th.


HyonChi came to church again^^ We love her.

Proselyting in Incheon Park.

Sister Bagley threw a fit...ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment