Monday, April 28, 2014

Training Again...Staying in Mansu

4/21-27
Monday started off a little earlier than usual. I am coming up on my year in country which means my foreigner card is about to expire. Today was the day I applied to renew it. The lady I was privileged to work with didn't seem to love her job as much as one might expect. It took a while, but eventually all was well. Sister Bagley and I traveled back to 만수 (Mansu) to first email and then to catch up on our study time. This week is a temple week so today was not PDAY even though it felt like one. Not long after our studies were complete we had to leave in order to meet the 가정 (Gajeong) sister missionaries for an exchange. I scheduled to serve in Gajeong area with 이소민S (Sister Lee). That name might indicate that this sister is Korean, but let me tell you what a 교포 (gyopo) is... Both of her parents are Korean but her and her siblings were raised in America, Washington state to be exact. She doesn't speak a lick of Korean but has an awesome attitude about learning.

Sister Lee has a very unique personality. She doesn't pick up on normal social cues but honestly I think it is a blessing is disguise. She has no fear and nothing holding her back from doing what she needs to do here in Korea. For example, when we first split we were talking to an old lady on the street. This lady was being very rude in asking why I (a white foreigner) spoke better Korean than Sister Lee who appeared to be Korean. With a sincere smile on her face, Sister Lee said, "교포입니다." (I am a gyopo). Her innocence is adorable and very much envied.

We traveled to a members house for FHE. The member's name is BJ and she is an American married to a Korean. She is here teaching English and is a returned missionary from Germany. BJ is a unique person... When I walked into her home and introduced myself she shook my hand and said, "Charmed" as she bowed. I mean nothing too weird but anyway a little odd for what I've become accustomed to here in Korea. We proceeded with the lesson about the 12th article of faith, ate dessert, and played Rumicube. I got second place.

Exchange with Sister Lee
Tuesday was a fun day with Sister Lee. When we woke up we studied then before leaving I did the normal apartment cleanliness inspection that I am expected to do as STL. The house that these sisters live in is so nice!! It is the biggest missionary house I have ever visited and as such they are preparing for another set of sisters to move in and open the 답동 (Dapdong) area for sister missionaries. As a result of this there were empty boxes everywhere from all the furniture that they had assembled for the new sisters study room. I broke down about 20 boxes and vacuumed all while Sister Lee watched and talked to me. Bless her heart, when I asked her to help she would just drag more boxes towards me and then when I was vacuuming she made to sure point out everything I was missing. Very helpful to say the least haha. I think she is hilarious so it was fun. Our day together was spent proselyting and it was a blast! Other churches always have paid proselyters on street corners passing out flyers. On those flyers are candy. Sister Lee and I decided to gather as much candy as we could. I would have a small conversation about Jesus and our church and Sister Lee would collect the goods ha. It was funny. Sister Lee is seriously still a child at heart. I am so grateful to be able to serve with and learn from her.

When we unsplit Sister Bagley and I had about ten minutes together before the next exchange. I left with Sister Stastny to serve in 만수 (Mansu) while Sister Bagley went with Sister Hammerl to 연수 (YeonSu). Sister Stastney and I had to rush to a dinner appointment with 이두례S (Sister Lee, our Korean mother). We ate a delicious meal with her and her daughter 김소정S (Sister Kim), who is preparing to start her mission in June. There was WAY too much food, but it was a blast! We tried getting Sister Kim excited about serving a mission so we had her show us all of her missionary clothes. In short, I will say that I am very jealous of Korean shopping. I have said it before but there is a reason Koreans and Asians in general can pull off just about anything- it is because they are FEARLESS when it come to fashion and they own it. I hope I have learned a thing of two before going back to America.

To end our visit we shared a spiritual message from 1 Nephi 13:37:
And blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth my Zion at that day, for they shall have the gift and the power of the Holy Ghost; and if they endure unto the end they shall be lifted up at the last day, and shall be saved in the everlasting kingdom of the Lamb; and whoso shall publish peace, yea, tidings of great joy, how beautiful upon the mountains shall they be.
This is the Korea Seoul South Mission scripture. In the spirit of getting Sister Kim excited about missionary work we thought this to be very fitting. It was awesome and the spirit was strong. After leaving and arriving home, Elder Berry our District Leader sent out a mass text to the district. He was informing us that he had cancelled district meeting for the week. I immediately called him up to get to the bottom of things. Apparently he just didn't feel like holding it... How lame is that? Since that is totally not acceptable I begged and had other district members do the same, but to our dismay, he simply just didn't care. Long story short the zone leaders straightened him out some how and it was back on. That whole ordeal took most of my 'prepare for bed' time so I consequently got to bed a little late. ugh.. elders..

Sister Stastny
Wednesday started like any other, but a million things seemed to happen as soon as we left the house. We met the district at the church to first make lunch together. 박동규E (Elder Park) wanted to teach us how to make 김밤 (aka sushi- to ignorant foreigners but instead of Japanese style, kimbap is Korean style). While he taught most of the district, Sister Stastny and I stayed in the kitchen making 호떡 (hoduk) which is like a honey-ish filled pancake like thing... that's a bad description but they are delicious. We all sat to eat together and it was so much fun! We talked about how scary a 할머니 (Korean grandma) zombie apocalypse would be and also how Elder Park ate body wash once. It was strangely entertaining. The actual training was lame but we did do a good role play of defining hard 'gospel words' in Korean.

After the meeting, Sister Stastny left with Sister Bagley to do a practice teaching lesson while I did pass off with Sister Hammerl. Maybe I have described it before but 'pass off' is a program that President Morrise has renamed 'Teacher Improvement' because that is exactly what if is. As STL, the sister missionaries in the Incheon zone practice teaching me in Korean in order to be 'passed off' or show President Morrise where their language teaching ability is. Because I am still humbled by the language my only requirement is for the sister to teach only in Korean, the topics I assign and to invite the spirit. If I don't feel the spirit, you don't pass. Some missionaries are too focused on memorizing things and not teaching from the heart so anyway that is my style and idea of what will help our sisters learn and progress well. Sister Hammerl passed and it was an edifying meeting for the both of us.

After was a dinner appointment at 이순애S (Sister Lee)'s house with her and 김현주S (Sister Kim). It was a lot of fun but not too eventful. Sister Bagley and I practiced teaching the principle of agency and then received a ride home from Sister Kim.

Last District Supper before Transfers
Thursday was nice to wake up in Mansu, in my bed, and with my assigned companion... But we were in different beds- that's sounds weird but anyway everything was back to normal. We quickly got ready but were running late like usual. #sistermissionaryproblems! We scheduled to meet the elders at a specific bus stop to catch a bus to the temple. Turns out the bus was fast approaching and we were still in the elevator of our apartment complex... So once out of the elevator, we ran (which is actually a super common thing when you're my companion). In our pencil skirts and church shoes we ran a good three blocks to find the bus pulling away from the bus stop. Luckily there was a red light up ahead so we knew it was still possible to catch it. That bus comes hourly so we decided to sprint across a road or two to catch it. I wonder what the elders thought when they saw us running alongside the bus, banging on the door for the driver to open it to let us in. It worked and we were on in no time. :)

Temple Day!
Once at the temple we had a fabulous session!! I learned so much today and it was so much fun seeing old companions and friends from different zones. After the session we snapped a few pictures then head back to Mansu as a district. On our way we ordered chicken to be delivered and us sisters picked up a pair of Korean grandma pants to wear for the rest of our PDAY. We scarfed down our food, played ping pong, and just hung out as a district one last time before transfers. It was a great day. To end top it off, we had an appointment with HyonChee and her family. The soon to be missionary, Sister Kim joined us as we taught the plan of salvation. We had previously assigned each family member to read specific scriptures and answer a question as homework. We had the idea of making 'group work' so that they were doing more talking and teaching each other. It turned out really well! I love this family. I hope every missionary and member can know what it feels like to teach a family the plan of happiness of how they can be together forever. It is unreal and so fulfilling. I feel so blessed.

Friday morning we found ourselves traveling as a district again. But this time it was to 영등포 (YungDungPo). The Relief Society President of the church, Linda K. Burton and her husband had come all the way from Utah to speak to the Korea Seoul South Mission. They actually were the last mission president and wife to serve in then Korean Seoul West Mission from 2007-2010 (which boundaries are the same as the south mission). They gave us an awesome training all about cherishing the moment and remembering The Lord in all things. One thought specifically still resonates with me; the thought it found in Doctrine and Covenants section 3 verses 2-3, it says "...his course is one eternal round. Remember, remember that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men." I know that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I strive to act like one, live like one, and just plain be one. I know that our God is perfect. He works through us to bring about this great work of salvation. In order to have the privilege of having Him work through me, I need to do my part is being worthy of His great power. The power, mantle, and privilege of being a full-time missionary is real. I love it and cherish all that He has entrusted me with.

Another spiritual thought that I loved was a parting talk giving by an Elder Sanderson who completes his mission in less than a week. He shared the Book of Mormon verse 2 Nephi 1:14-15 which reads,

Awake! and arise from the dust, and hear the words of a trembling parent, whose limbs ye must soon lay down in the cold and silent grave, from whence no traveler can return; a few more days and I go the way of all the earth.
But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love.

This elder is a goofy elder but when it came time for him to speak to the mission giving advice and uplifting parting words, he nailed it. We compared these scriptures to himself. Him being the 'parent' or an older missionary soon to 'go down to his grave' or completed "mission life" he advised us to arise, work hard, and to share the love of God hat we feel on a daily basis. It was motivational as well as moving. I was super impressed with him. So let's do it! Let's open our mouth and teach people how to feel the love of God!

Costco Trip with the District
After the training our district went to the nearest Costco for lunch. It was uh-mazing! After eating in the food court we grabbed a few groceries before heading home. Once home Sister Bagley and I did weekly planning and then ended the night with a member and her two daughters (정예림S, 김윤빈S 2006, 김윤경S 2007). It was a blast as always!

When we arrived home we had a surprising text from the zone leaders. They informed us that President decided to make transfer calls tonight! Both mine and Sister Bagley's nerves were all over the place, but when the call finally came in, we were informed that Sister Bagley would be leaving to serve in the infamous city of Gangnam! And for me, I will be staying in Mansu as STL and training another new missionary! Training again!! In case anyone forgot, as soon as I finished my greenie period, I was called to be a trainer first to Sister Han, then Sister Tovar, then Sister Bagley, and now another! We are both so excited~!

Saturday morning was fun. Bishop picked us up to farm, but after tenish minutes of pulling weeds, the farm owner called it a day and instead we went out to eat an early lunch together. After eating we went home to prepare for the many appointments we had. First we met with 김하나S (HahNah) and our lesson went really well! We talked all about the order of prayer and the significance of first addressing Heavenly Father and then ending in the name of Jesus Christ. The spirit was way strong! It was great.

Directly after that appointment and before our next, 정예림S (Sister Jeong) our new English class coordinator asked a member to film an English class commercial. It was embarrassing to film but anyway, fun. We got it done after three or so takes, Sister Bagley and I had to take off. We met 구혜연S (Amanda) and had an awesome lesson. For the last 25ish minutes our member Sister Jeong joined us. We discussed all about the Book of Mormon chapters that Amanda had read last week. We were in Mosiah 3-6 so naturally we talked all about baptism again and the importance of 'sharing this good news that we have' (Amanda's words, not ours). It was great.

Next, English class. With a coordinator, everything is so much more organized and better! I super love it!  We have Elder Park conduct, three separate tables based on your ability, and a serious of activity that we discuss as a class. That probably doesn't paint a picture well but I'm sure our English class commercial will be on YouTube soon. Watch out for the URL!

To end our day we played maybe ten minutes of basketball with some members (yes in our skirts), grabbed a bite to eat, then head back up to 영등포 for another fireside by Brother and Sister Burton as well as Brother and Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson, the Young Woman General President of the church and our area seventy, President Ringwood. When we arrived, it was packed and hard to find a seat. We managed to sit near Sister Jeong and her two cute daughters. They played on my iPod as I played with their hair and listened to the speakers inspiring words. This week has been crazy with traveling but boy have us missionaries reaped some major blessings of listening to some of our fantastic leaders in person!

Sunday was a great day too. When the members found out that three of our six missionaries would be leaving they were so sad and last minute started putting together a ward meal so that we could all eat lunch together. So sweet! All hours of church were good but I especially enjoyed sacrament meeting! Elders Knapp and Higham and Sister Bagley gave their goodbye talks. They all did really well. After the meeting and before lunch, we pulled HyonChee aside to teach her about a few commandments. In order to have her prepared and well taught before her baptism we had to take time to teach about tithing and fasting today. It went well and of course she committed to follow both. We then ate together and saw her off. It was sad seeing so many members sad about the inevitable change that missionary life brings. I am however grateful for the relationships that we have been able I build here. You know you've done well in a ward when it is hard to go.

The next eventful thing that happened was our 같이 전도 (together proselyting) activity with our district. Elder Park had painted signs that said "Free Hugs, Free Pictures." It was rainy so we weren't sure how much success we would have but it turned out to be pretty good. Although it was fun in the moment, I don't know if I am a huge fan of this approach for missionary work haha. There were some questionable souls whom we weren't sure if they were boys or girls so maybe a few of us broke a mission rule on accident? We still aren't totally sure but anyway, it was a good time with everyone. The last item of the day was our ward missionary correlation meeting. It was a good way to end a week of success.

I love you all!! Sorry this is late... Have a good week :)
Sister Sloan


Elder Pruner looking retarded while trying to take a group picture.






Bus ride home...how adorable are these students?  They were all fighting over who would get our seats  haha

The district at the temple



Success!





Back row: Bagley, Hammerl, Stastny, me, Berry
Front row: Pruner, Thomas, Park, Knapp, Higham










Our last Sunday together.


No comments:

Post a Comment