4/7-4/13
![]() |
| Exchange with Sister DeBuse |
Tuesday started off kind of strange. When we woke up and started working out Sister DeBuse was so adorable and said, "I don't mean to be negative but I just feel cruddy this morning." She had been sick all week and I laughed as I told her that that wasn't negativity, it was just a fact haha. She decided to go back to sleep for a little. Three hours later she was up and feeling better. During her nap/continued night's sleep, I let her sleep in peace as I studied in the other room. I didn't have too many option- the hallway, bathroom, or changing room. Changing room it was. I sat on one of my suitcase while I read and studied. It was so great being able to study for so long!! I got so much done!!
When she was finally up we did the normal routine and eventually found ourselves on the street talking to people. Sister DeBuse isn't too talkative, but anyway it was productive for what it was. By 7PM we met at 부평역 (BuPyung Station) to unsplit. Recently Sister Bagley had lost her running shoes so we roamed the underground shopping center to find her a pair. As she looked, I talked to people but also browsed and found some awesome souvenirs for friends and family when I get home~ Korean shopping is the best. I will miss it.
Wednesday we had district meeting. It was hilarious! Elder Berry is our leader and so good at Korean. He decided to ramble on in Korean for the whole training- I understand well but when he mumbles like most 19 year old boys do, it makes things difficult haha. Anyway, on to the funny stuff. We were each asked to read different passages of from PMG or the scriptures, when it came Elder Knapp's turn to read a verse from the Bible he could hardly do it with a straight face. Early that week we had received a book that he orders (against mission rules ha)... It was called 'Da Jesus Book' also know as a version of the Bible but translated into Hawaiian Pigeon haha. It was pretty funny but also ridiculous. Next was a role play. But not a normal kind of role play, a silent one. It was awkward and fun but actually got his point across pretty well. All in all it was a unique meeting but fun and productive like always.
![]() |
| Look at the Purnus Yedoensis flowers~I love spring in Korea. |
![]() |
| Love you fam~ |
Thursday was interviews. President Morrise and Sister Morrise came to our stake center and we were allotted 15 minutes with our wonderfully amazing mission president. Before our actual interviews, Sister Morrise was asking all companionships to make a short video giving advice to new missionaries. Sister Bagley and I are too funny if you were not previously aware. We prepared our top ten 'what not to do's' to share. [Most will need clarification] but here is a list:
- Be sure to board the same elevator as your companion, [she stayed on the 14th floor as I had to walk up the stairs to find her again].
- Don't spend your emergency cash on 할머니 (Korean grandma) pants, [I love them].
- When lost, don't let taxis become your go-to solution, [your new comp won't pay]. :P
- When speaking Korean, don't directly translate things from English- including idioms, [food baby.]
- Do not take a shortcut up a mountain that looks like it belongs in a horror film.
- When talking with Koreans on the streets... or anywhere they compliment foreigners A LOT, don't let it get to your head.
- Don't flirt with grandmas unless you want to be sent off with a handful of candy and a bum pat as you part.
- Do not go to a 목욕탕 (public bathhouse) without someone experienced... [The only examples you'll have to watch and follow might be old, naked grandmas].
- Don't follow men into hole-in-the-wall bars on the Sabbath.
- Don't pee your pants in public.
![]() |
| Thank you so much mom and dad :) I am so happy~you are the best |
![]() |
| Sister Lee, our Korean mother in the Mansu ward. We love her! |
Friday we had a practice lesson with a member before heading to an appointment with our new investigator. 이경호S (Sister Lee) is an old grandma who loves to talk. As we began our lesson it sounded as if her true purpose of meeting with us was to set one of us up with her son haha. I felt impressed to ask her what her true interest was. She was sincere in saying that she wants to know about our gospel and happy message that elders in Canada had previously promised her. Following her answers I told her that I understand her well but I needed her patience because I speak slowly. I tried to ask for just 5 minutes to talk but my inability to speak quickly made that impossible haha. Eventually we were able to get through the whole first lesson. She promised to both read and pray before our appointment next week. I hope she will be able to accept our message well despite her verbal diarrhea and my slowness of speech haha.
Saturday was strange. We had two appointments scheduled but only about half of one worked out. 구혜연S (Amanda) has been an investigator on and off for nine years! Today was our third lesson with her but she insisted on treating us to lunch. Her neighbor, 정진형S (Sister Jeong) is a less-active recent convert and all four if us went to an 'American styled' buffet. It was Korean food as far as I am concerned haha but anyway it was yummy. While we ate we naturally started talking about gospel topics such as general conference. Today and tomorrow are the days where it has become available with Korean translations. Our mini lesson was supposed to be followed by a real lesson but instead both Amanda and the recent convert decided they wanted to sit in on the second session of the day. We sat and watched the Korean translation with them. Sister Bagley fell asleep but I tried hard to understand- apostles speak so complexly! So difficult. Good thing we have the spirit because without that I'm pretty sure I would have been falling asleep too ha. It was a strange change in schedule but it was good!
Our next appointment cancelled so instead we watched the morning Saturday session in English. It was fantastic! It is so strange not having conference be a big event like it is back home but I guess that is just the life of a missionary. Next conference though, things might be back to normal. To end the day we went on a member exchange to do some proselyting on the street. Our go-to member 이은성S (Sister Lee) encouraged her daughter, 오의림 (UehReem) to spend more time with us since she is in the process of submitting her mission papers. She is so shy and was so uncomfortable for the whole hour we were together but I tried to help her out. I taught her that missionary life is awkward no matter what but the key is to just embrace it because this message is worth it! Just like Elder Holland said in the Saturday morning session, "This work is worth it! ...[we] can change the world!" I love this church. I love our leaders and the fulfillment that our message brings to my life. I showed her my style of a huge smile on my face, a natural conversation, applications of a gospel principle about what I've learned about their life, and a commitment. Maybe she didn't talk to too many people but I hope mine and Sister Bagley's example will resonate with her.
![]() |
| Korean style picnic after watching the Sunday Session of Conference |
After eating and cleaning up I ran into 이두례S (Sister Lee)'s daughter, 김소정S (Sister Kim) upstairs. She is preparing to serve a mission in San Fernando, California. As she is getting a little more serious about preparing, she told me to call her any time if we needed help. Maybe it wasn't what she bargained for but I asked if she had time right then to provide us with an opportunity to practice teaching a lesson. Both her and her mother (our Korean mother) joined us in the chapel as we taught the third lesson, The Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was fun and edifying. Her and her mother are great teachers!
As we left, they gave us a ride home. I gave Sister Kim my Korean version of the missionary white handbook full of the mission rules that she would soon come to know very well. She had so many questions and that book will answer most of them. I hope Sister Bagley and I can help her prepare well before entering the MTC.
To finish the day we found so many people to talk to on the street before our missionary coordination meeting. It was good. Two of the WML's daughter came with him and the whole time they played with my hair and tried to massage my shoulders. They are the cutest. They loved mine and Sister Bagley's jewelry too so I taught them the English word 'bling bling.' They told their dad that they like 'bling bling' haha. I seriously have fallen in love with 만수 (Mansu)!! Last week President Morrise wrote in his letter to me, "Who knew a Suwon sister would become an Incheon sister so quickly?" It is true. I thought Suwon had my heart but I found a whole other cavity that has been filled by Mansu. Korean saints are so special and I love them so much. I am so grateful for the choice the The Lord helped me make to serve Him. Our message isn't well accepted by many but for those that do listen, I have come to love them tremendously. They motivate me to be better and to find more people to show the true methods of happiness that I feel so blessed to have grown up with. This work is worth it and we are changing the world!
Have a good week!!
I love you all!! 사랑해요! 보고싶어요! I miss you!
사랑하는,
슬론 자매
Sister Sloan
![]() |
| Stylish~ |
![]() |
| Homemade Korea pancakes~ success |
![]() |
| Fatest Asian baby... |
![]() |
| Somehow a 32 year old man ended up with our number...I invited him to church tomorrow and in response he says probably the only English he knows haha |
![]() |
| Me and Sister Bagley |











No comments:
Post a Comment