7/21-27
Monday I scheduled a mini family-like reunion with all of my past companions. We met at 강남역 (Gangnam Station) since that was the most central place for everyone (except us living in Incheon), including my returned trainer 윤현미S (Sister Yoon). Once we all arrived we went to a cute store that produces sticker pictures. You literally pay a few dollars to stand in a photo booth, take a series of pictures, edit them, and print them out in sticker form. They are so small and cute! We chose our favorites and posted them on the backs of our name tags before going out for food. We ate 김밥 and 팥빙수 before everyone had to go their separate ways. Sister Yoon walked me, Sister Mineer, and Sister Gapinski back to our bus stop to see us off. Even though it was short, I was SO happy to see everyone for possibly the last time. I still have a good little while here but the mission won't hold any conference or gatherings until after I leave, so I'm trying to make the best use of my time.. I really miss and love all of my companions- maybe the reasons are vast but the longing and gratitude for our time together remains. Missionary life really brings about the most unique of situations; looking at all of my companions as we were together I recognized how different they all are. Despite our differences, our goal and motivation is the same, how beautiful is His plan and how vast are his hands willing to see it through.
Once home we had a ward FHE (family home evening) to say goodbye to Elder Godfrey, Sister Mineer, and Elder Berry. We ate and solved riddles. I played with the kids. We couldn't stay long because we had an appointment with our cute couple investigators. They mostly wanted to say goodbye to Sister Mineer. We chatted and they walked us home. They really are such awesome people. It was cute because Sister Shim refused to give Sister Mineer a hug or to let her say goodbye. She kept saying, "It's too sad! I hate president.." Ha she is cute. I know my final goodbye to them will be even harder- but I don't want to see the beginning from the end yet... I am happy. It was a good day.
Tuesday was a strange schedule because President Morrise decided to still have district meeting this week. Normally it is on Wednesdays but tomorrow is transfer day so there is no time. To commemorate the monumental last day for our DL, Elder Berry, we ate doughnuts and snacks that we all brought. Just an update on our diet, it's going well. Especially the cheat days, we utilize those to their full capacity hehe. The meeting was as usual but it also was awesome! During the role play portion, we had our cute couple investigators in mind, and we played out how we wanted them to analyze their previous homework assignments in Enos 1, Moroni 10:3-5, and with prayer. It was powerful! We are super ready for the lesson tomorrow.
When the meeting ended and everything was cleaned up, we left to do less-active and potential investigator visits. We surprisingly got into a less-actives house! 박미영S (Sister Park) has only just gone less-active in the last few weeks. We noticed the first week that we didn't come and we've been in contact with her ever since. The reason behind her change in behavior isn't clear but today we shared a message about the power of our spiritual gifts, one of which being our testimonies. It went really well! She definitely felt the spirit because as she cried, she thanked us, and promised to come to church the next coming Sunday. Her sincerity was touching, we love her. After failing at every other visit, it began to rain. It wasn't an ordinary rain, but the beginning of the dreaded monsoon season. We ducked on a bus to kill some time before an appointment.
We ended up being 20 minutes late, because between the heavy rain and the rush hour traffic, the bus was moving at a speed that was more then irritating ha. It all worked out because 이두례S (Momma Lee) was running late too. Once we finally met, she took us out for dinner. We sang a song for our spiritual message and head home. Though we stayed busy, it was definitely a slow day.
Wednesday morning was transfers. 심하정S (Sister Shim) wanted to travel with us, so we met and boarded the train. The ride was short and upon our arrival Sister Shim linked arms with me and whispered, "I'm very scared." She knew she was about to see a sea of missionaries, and the thought of that scared her haha but she took a deep breath and her curiosity overpowered her fear. She is so cute. Once we arrived a few people introduced themselves to her and she waited with me as I tried to find the mail from the office. Sister Mineer found her new companion, we socialized a bit, said goodbyes, and were off. Sister Shim continued to Seoul as we made our way back to Incheon.
It was strange only having to account for one companion as opposed to two... This might be a weird adjustment. Our lunch appointment punked us so we stayed hungry until after our practice lesson with 김보희S (Sister Kim). She is always so helpful and fun. We love her! Next we ate, made a new English flyer, and proselyted until our final appointment for the day. 심하정S (Sister Shim) and 이지웅B (Brother Lee) had a brand new nail polish that they insisted on using on us tonight. Brother Lee worked as a nail professional at some point and I was privileged enough to receive a few manicure while Sister Gapinski received one from Sister Shim haha. They are so fun. Eventually we got to our lesson that we role played a few days before. It went well! It was getting late so Sister Shim kept shushing her husband to be concise with his words ha. They aren't progressing super well with reading but our gospel discussions are ALWAYS fantastic. We need to figure out how to improve both parts..
Thursday, happy Pioneer Day everyone! It was less than eventful for us this year. ^^ after the routine we met 조수인S (Sister Cho), the recent convert that was baptized in France a couple months ago. Today we met for lunch and taught about patriarchal blessings. She already knows that she wants one so we taught a little more and set a goal to received hers before heading back to France to finish her final year at the university there. Sister Cho is 22 and super cute! Her insecurities are many but her pure heart and frank nature are adorable. We love her.
Next, we visited a members house for a practice 20 minute lesson. It was good. We then dedicated three hours to finding former investigator houses. We have several records where the phone numbers were changed and all we are left with is a name and an address. Today, we mostly confirmed that most everyone had moved. No new investigators yet. Tonight we had dinner with Momma Lee once again before teaching our favorite recent convert, HyonChee. Which, by the way, I realized that I have been romanizing her name incorrectly all this time- Hyonji is the proper spelling in English. Anyway, the lesson went well. Her father and little sister joined us. They really are a prepared family but so far Hyonji is the only one that has gotten to the point of wanting to progress and strengthen her relationship with God by making and keeping promises with him. It was a nice ending to the evening.
Friday was 심하정S (Sister Shim)'a birthday! We met for lunch but as we waited for a bus, I made an attempt to strike up conversation with an adorable grandmother. She wasn't at all interested in what I had to say but she did ask where we were going. It turned out we were going to the same place! (신세계 department store) so the lady hobbled off the bus bench and signaled for a taxi to pick her up. She made the three of us get in and we were off. It was hilarious to watch this "all knowing" grandma bark directions to the driver haha. In Korea it is culture to listen to old people... So this taxi driver clearly knew where he was going but humbly submitted to every order this woman gave him. It was funny. When we arrived, she wouldn't let us pay and she shoed us off haha. We found ourselves in a packed food court for lunch. We ate 복음밥, bubble tea, and doughnuts- all per Sister Shim's request. Looks like we are having another cheat day with our diet. Oh! Which reminds me! This week we went in to check our progress, I lost 1kilo and Sister Gapinski lost 3kilos! 아싸~ anyway, it was a fun time together.
Next we visited 이경호S (Sister Lee) our grandma investigator. Nothing monumental happened, she was just happy to see us again. We then went home for weekly planning before ending the evening with another punked appointment and time of the street talking to people. It was a lame ending to a fun morning.
Saturday went like any other day. Since it has been raining non-stop all week, soccer was cancelled this morning. We studied and set out to find more former investigators until English class. No immediate success yet. Because it was still raining we texted our true and faithful best friends, cute couple. We asked if they wanted to have a movie night haha. They fed us dinner and we brought the movie, 'The Testaments.' They were less than enthused about watching it but once it began, they got into it. Brother Lee was so fascinated with the history and pyramid in it and Sister Shim was recognizing the biblical doctrine included. When it ended we read about The Sermon on the Mount in the Book of Mormon, they loved it. Hopefully now they will see and understand the added knowledge and insight that the Book of Mormon brings as we read it with the Bible! It was great.
Sunday was church. Our ward mission leader cancelled the first two hour classes of church to bring everyone together for a lecture of how to better be 'everyday missionaries.' He had several people explain how to use various social networks and encouraged all of our ward members to opening share the blessing and benefit that our church has brought to their lives. As Sister Gapinski and I looked around, we noticed that the less-active member that promised to come to church, was no where in sight. We grabbed a proselyting Book of Mormon and made a quick visit to her house. She was still in her pajamas, claiming to be sick. We were sad and told her we'll be saving a seat for her for sacrament.
When we returned, they were talking about statistic of baptisms in our stake and ward for the year, the ward was reminded that we had only had one so far this year. I was sitting next to Hyonji and it was cute because she sheepishly asked, "Is he talking about me?" I smiled and nodded as she brought her hands to her cheeks to cover the fact that she was blushing haha. She is so cute!! It was a long but good meeting. Sacrament went well as well but the less-active never showed. When everything was said and done, the ward set up for a meal together. It was delicious but a lot to clean up. I was in the kitchen cleaning with 이미영S (Sister Lee) when another member came in trying to kick us out. I turned to Sister Lee and said, "It's time to switch!" alluding to the fact that she had been cleaning longer than anyone else. She then In English said harshly, with a hint of sarcasm, "No, you switch!" We went back and forth until the other member ripped all the sponges and dishes from my hands haha. They are too funny.
Before and after dinner, we visited more former investigators. All fail. After dinner, a YSA member preparing for her mission, joined us. We visited more people just to be rejected over and over. I wonder how long Sister Gapinski and I will be tested and how much patience He will ask of us before we are able to find prepared investigators. Sigh. The continued diligence amongst constant rejection is hard. I'm grateful to have a companion and tonight an additional ward member, to keep my hopes up with positive thinking. I know He will bless us when we do our part. Like we learn in the scriptures over and over, we just need to follow and blessings will flow when we are doing all we can. I trust The Lord. My hands will be His.
I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday evening. I miss you all- maybe now more than ever, but can I ask everyone a favor? Stop the countdowns. I am just as excited to see all of you but I need to focus on missionary work. Please pray for me to have added patience in finding new people to teach. Pray that I will be able to feel proud of all the service that I am able to do in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I love you all. I pray for you daily. ^^
Sister Sloan
슬론 자매





No comments:
Post a Comment