Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Warrior Three

7/14-21
Monday, before we emailed, we got a call from the zone leaders saying that they needed us to meet them. We had Elder Clawson's memory book and 김재겸E (Elder Kim)'s knock-off soccer uniform catalog that apparently they needed, so we meet up. Now that we were 30 minutes from home we just decided to find a PC room in the area to email. It was fun hearing from so many friends and family members today. It is always a little difficult bouncing back to missionary life after email, especially on temple weeks because our PDAY time is saved until Thursday. It sounds stupid but it has always made me sad knowing life and time back home carries on without me. Sigh. But on the flip side, when I logged off my email our life in Incheon, South Korea resumed as well.
                     
We had previously scheduled an exchange with 가정 (KahJeong) sisters, so we made our way to their area where we decided to meet. Once we became aware of our impeccable timing, it was clear that we had some time to kill. It was a unanimous decision to stay on the subway line for a few extra stops and then turn back around on the same line to meet Sisters Blickenstaff and Hoffman at the predetermined time. The line that we were riding was not any ordinary line, it was the airport express line! The last station was the Incheon airport... I know I still have 40-some-odd-days until I'll be there to board an actual plane, but it was weird realizing how busy I need to be in order to leave my mark here with our investigators and ward members.

Once with Sister Blickenstaff we got onto another subway to make it to an appointment. Apparently, a potential investigator appointment went wrong last week and today we were taking our dinner hour to kind of make amends with the now former investigator, Sara Lee. It just wasn't the right time or place for this girl to listen to accept the gospel.  Tonight's dinner was just to leave a better last impression with her. And guess what, it worked! We were laughing the WHOLE time. She ended up opening up a lot and even was asking us gospel questions. We didn't go too deep, but it was super productive! I hope she doesn't fall off the grid, because in the future she would be an awesome young women's leader!

When dinner ended and we said our goodbyes, we head to a members house for FHE. These members are married, one American and the other Korean. I don't know how they met or ever decided to get married because they seem absolutely opposite but anyway, somehow it works. We talked for a while and then had a lesson about the pioneers and their sacrifice. Not only the pioneers that traveled to the Salt Lake City valley, also all of the converts here in Korean and in their own families. I am blessed that my father was a pioneer for his family and someone way far down the line on my mom's side too. My life has truly been blessed for their sacrifice.

Tuesday was a fun morning. I have really come to love Sister Blickenstaff! She is probably a favorite of mine- always working hard and going above and beyond. We stayed busy today with less-active visits and potential investigator appointments. Her name it so long I'll just say Blick, Blick is SO good with people and even though she thinks she is always lacking, I cannot imagine a better sister missionary. It was quite a productive exchange.

When we switch back Sister Gapinski, Sister Mineer, and I had to rush to an investigator appointment. Last night, while I was gone my companions and Sister Hoffman met cute couple #2. Tonight and tomorrow we have appointments too. Last night my companions were really pushing hard for them to come to church. They straight up told them to stop asking. No!!! I was so sad to hear that. Tonight we only met with the wife, but before she arrived, her crazy 전도사 (paid proselyter for another church) saw us waiting and INSISTED that we come in. We were absolutely apprehensive but tried to engage her in small talk while she served us tomatoes and chocolate. It was weird. 심하정S (Sister Shim) arrived and was also lured in by the neighbor. She looked at us with wide eye, a clenched jaw, and a fake smile as she said, "What are you doing?" Haha we laughed and told her to help us finish the food so we could leave. Too bazaar.

Our evening was spent attempting to make scones, going out for dinner together, and buying some groceries since we had finally received money this month. Sister Shim has INSISTED that we do not call her "자매님" (Sister) anymore, she prefers 언니 (meaning older sister- for a girl to call another girl). Maybe it is complicated but since 심하정S has become such a good friend, calling her 언니 has more of a feeling of closeness. I'm not complaining, I love her.

Wednesday began with a better than usual district meeting. Elder Berry prepared a conference talk that helped illustrate the importance of conversion through the Book of Mormon. I learned the importance of personal revelation today. While maybe our meetings aren't jam-packed with spiritual awesomeness, it is my responsibility to do my part; if I do that, revelation for our investigators, ward members, and my own personal life, will come. I got a lot out of district meeting today. It's amazing how your mindset and attitude can change.

We left and traveled straight to 이경호S (Sister Lee)'s house where Bishop (김우식B) and his wife (이현자S) met us for a lesson. The lesson was okay. Bishop just wanted to get down to business which is good but by so doing, and not listening to her needs, she totally shut off and told us she had no more interest in our church. I was disappointed but I can't say I am surprised. I don't know what it is about this woman but I just love her. I know she hasn't progressed in a while but something inside me doesn't want to let her go... I hope Heavenly Father helps us out a little and teaches us what she needs because my time to help her is running out. After the lesson, we dropped by our house before visiting a few members. The first was a less-active woman but she wasn't home. Next was 이미영S (Sister Lee). We LOVE her. Although it was an unplanned visit, she welcomed us in and just sat and talked with us as her two kids ran around like wild animals. They are too funny. We talked about some struggling members and devised a plan to help fellowship them back. It was productive to say the least. I love these ward members!

Before heading to our last investigator appointment to end the day, we had about an hour of proselyting time. It was SUPER hot and humid so we took a rest on a bench at the track behind our house. It proved to be the right decision! We had over 15 people approach us and we even set up an appointment to meet this man and his wife who is expecting their first baby girl next month. It was great. Once 심하정S (Sister Shim) and 이지웅B (Brother Lee) were home, we walked over. Tonight's lesson started out with a word of song. I forget the series of events but Sister Shim grabbed her guitar so that her and her husband could serenade us with a couple of their favorite church hymns. That's one way to invite the spirit! Also, it's another way to make all three of us sister missionaries so excited to be married haha.

As the lesson proceeded we became very aware of their disinterest in coming to church... In the previous lesson since they emphasized the importance of coming to church, they did not want to ask any questions because they knew the answer would be to come to church. We then taught them that, yes, it would be ideal for them to come and learn at church but that we were also willing to answer questions in their home. We had a good discussion but that's all that it was. In response to our answers the husband would say, "But in my church..." This family seemed so prepared, what happened? Oh and one last thing to mention, apparently he is an apostle for his church. We aren't totally clear on what that means but anyway, that is that.

Attention avid blog readers, family, and friends we need your help! If anyone has any ideas of how to properly and simply teach the concept of the priesthood more effectively, we are all ears. Once that concept is understood by this beautiful family, it will be like a domino effect with Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, modern day prophets, ect. It's all hanging on this. Let us know what you think.

Thursday was finally temple day! It was such a good day. Previous to going to the temple our zone was asked to fast for a couple sister missionaries who are extremely sick. I thought we were fasting to keep them here but it turned out that they already had plane tickets so our fast was redirected to a quick recovery. We will miss them dearly and hope to see them back in the field soon! After the temple, most missionaries from 서울남 and 인천 zone head to 영등포 church to play basketball and soccer. I fully anticipated playing but I ended up spending the whole time sitting with my companions, current and passed, just talking and talking. I never realized how much I have grown to love these girls. It's crazy what blood, swear, and tears together can do to strengthen a relationship. It was a good day.

Once the time came to leave, we head back to our area via subway and bus. Our timing was once again perfect (it's a rare thing for us). We walked into our dinner appointment with 이두례S (Momma Lee) right on time. We really love her. We ate as much as we could and then head to our appointment with 정현지S (HyonChee), as usual. Prior to arriving, our companionship rock, paper, scissors who would teach the lesson and then the two losers would proselyte together until the lesson was over. I won! Yahoo! It was a great lesson. We talked all about enduring to the end and how to withstand temptation. It came to me that we would role play certain word of wisdom and law of chastity points. HyonChee is super shy but she ended up doing really well! Momma Lee is so awesome too. She really made the role play realistic and gave great advice. I feel blessed to have such a loving Korean momma. ^^

Friday was a monumental day! Today marks my 500th day as a missionary! What the?! For me, I will serve 541 days as a full-time missionary. It was a significant day for me to reflect on all the good that I feel I have done, as well as looking forward to all that Heavenly Father has in store for these spiritually packed, physically draining 41 days. Watch out Incheon, I'm not gone yet!

Weekly planning went well, as did our time on the street, and our member lesson at the end of the day. 정예림S (Sister Jeong) is our English class coordinator, a mother of two crazy girls (7 and 8 years old), and married to a semi-less-active member. She always looks tired and sad. I think between her rowdy daughters, her stressful job, and constantly having to push her husband to do anything, she has every right to be tired. We tried to teach them the importance of covenants by focusing on baptism and the sacrament with her two daughters but it was all in vain because they would not sit still. It turned out okay but next time we'll need to do better.

Saturday was another soccer filled morning. I was bored the entire time. I haven't been sleeping well so it was hard finding the desire to play my role on defense. Eventually the game ended and we finally were able to go home. We showered, studied, and attended English class. The only noteworthy thing that happened today was our dinner appointment and transfer calls. Dinner was fine but let's get to transfer calls! So it is no surprise that Sister Gapinski and I will stay here in Mansu as STL's but it was sad to hear that our beloved Sister Mineer will be leaving to serve in 이천 (south part of out mission, east of Suwon, also the boonies). She is going to serve with Sister Washburn from my MTC group which means she will be in charge of learning the whole area in 5 weeks before Sister Washburn and our group board a plane back to America. She is more than capable but it's quite the plate full. I know she'll be great!

Oh and I think I forgot to mention that we started doing Yoga-X every night for 30 minutes this week. We are on a diet and determined to be healthy, especially since Sister Gapinski and I will return home soon. Anyway, tonight our yoga was less than productive since everyone was calling to talk about all the changes happening this transfer. It was quite a sight. I think my favorite was when we were in warrior three, struggling to keep our balance, and passing the phone back and forth to text people back or answer calls haha. I'm positive we looked ridiculous.

Sunday was a bitter sweet day. We walked to church with HyonChee and went to our classes but the sad part was when Elder Godfrey, Sister Mineer, and Elder Berry all got up to give their goodbye talks. Elder Godfrey is still a greenie and struggling through the Korean language but his excitement and love for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is well translated. One of the last things he said was, "저는 miss하다 여러분입니다." Haha I have come to LOVE the noise Koreans make when they are confused, almost in unison the congregations let out, an "aye-ing?" noise which was followed by Elder Godfrey's companion (박동규E) yelling out from the congregations the proper translation of "He will miss all of you." Everyone was laughing so hard!  It was great. Sister Mineer too did a great job. As she cried, she really did a great job in expressing how much she has come to love these people. She is a great missionary, I know she will be missed here but it's apparent that she is needed all over the mission. I love her.

When church ended, we ate and left to visit 이경호S (Sister Lee). We visited her earlier this week and we became aware of her disinterest in all church messages but for some reason we were back. Previously we had planned to just do a door visit but we found ourselves sitting down to a nice early dinner. Korean woman are talented cooks as well as very giving. She kept telling us, "Because you didn't make an appointment, I don't have much for you to eat." But let me tell you, that table was full and we were not hungry haha. We got to talking and we felt prompted to read her previously assigned homework with her. She hadn't done it yet so we read the 10th chapter in 3rd Nephi (we asked her to read a chapter a day starting with chapter 10). She really enjoyed it and began to talk about all of the hard things that have happened to her in her life. It was a super sad story. I feel like this woman never has anyone to talk to so we all just listened. As she began to cry, I grabbed her hands from across the table and just held them as she continued. I love her, I can't explain all that she said or all that I felt but I know that we are meant to keep meeting with her and loving her. I know there won't be immediate changes in her life but she needs a support system and we came to teach her about Jesus Christ and all that He can be for her. It was a cool experience.

When we left we met our district and ward mission leader for a proselyting activity. It ended up being lame because our WML wanted to drive us to a large park in our area but guess what? There were no other sisters so he drove the elders while we had to take yet another bus. Lame. Once we were all there us sisters seperated and talked to a BUNCH of people and had a couple street lessons but the elders on the other hand talked to maybe 5 people... It was a pointless activity. However, I am grateful that our WML was willing to work with us. The evening ended back at the church for our weekly coordination meeting. It was average. And like that, the week was over.

Today is PDAY again and we are emailing early so we can goto Gangnam. I organized a mini "mission family reunion" before Sister Mineer leaves. Since I won't have a chance to see all of my "mission daughters" before I leave, we are meeting up today for lunch and to take sticker pictures. It should be fun. I hope you all are doing well. Also, I wanted to follow up, how was everyones study with Moroni's promise in the Book of Mormon? I didn't hear anything from anyone about it... Does anyone even make it to the end of my letters anymore or are they too long? haha. If you didn't try the promise out this week, do it before next Monday and tell me about it! I love you all!
Sister Sloan








Sister Minner

500th Day in the mission field. 41 days to go.



Mother, daughter and grand daughters

New District




No comments:

Post a Comment