Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Week Four in the MTC-Easter Week!


Hey all!
This week has been awesome!

On Wednesday my companion, Sister Stradling was sick. We aren't sure what it was, but it was stress related. She was advised to rest in our residence hall instead of attending class. I was kind of bummed, because I was in the mindset to learn the new grammar forms and vocab that was set up for that day. But that's okay. Looking back we basically got two P-day's in a row.

Thursday was another easy day. I don't know what it is but people are dropping like flies around here. Elder Wager, from my district (28A) is quarantined until Saturday. Classes today were just reviewing all we've learned. I was grateful because retention is tough for me. The extra practice was great. Our teacher, Brother Tanner took us outside to play a review game for two hours. It was awesome to be outside! We played 'King of the Hill' where two people would compete at a time. Our teacher would say a word or phrase in English and those competing would have to translate it (not just the word, but also put it in the correct grammar form). It was fun. I did okay.

Also, Elder Lee in our district was joking around about writing all of the missionaries little sisters that were close to his age. Of course we all want to be in-laws with a future Olympian. Sister Scott and I took the request for addresses very seriously. Along with that we took pictures of Danielle and Sister Scott's sister and stuck it in Elder Lee's scriptures where there are a few verses about eternal companions. haha we thought we were pretty clever.

Once it started nearing time to wrap up our day, our whole district was mentally exhausted from all the review and new vocab we had been practicing all day. No worries though, we are good about finding ways to entertain ourselves. Sister Cheney has pretty bad eyesight. Elder Lee thought it would be fun to try on her glasses. When he did, I thought it would be fun to throw things at him for him to catch. His delayed reaction to everything we threw brought us all the tears from laughing so hard. I'm sure on any other day it would not have been so funny, but it was almost 9:30PM and we were delirious. haha I love my district! We have so much fun together!

Friday was an easy day. We learned Korean and Chinese numbers. The concept of counting is definitely one I can grasp over infinitive grammar forms and what not. It was pretty interesting to learn that in Korean they use both languages for counting different things. For example, to tell time the hour number is always Korean and the minute is Chinese.. why? Couldn't tell ya. Also, Chinese numbers are used for dollar amounts, hymn numbers, ect. Korean numbers are used for age, to count floors of a building, ect. Crazy huh?

Saturday was a normal day. Breakfast, class, personal study, lunch, language study, class, dinner, language study, gym, and planning. Since our whole class was back together we reviewed a little then jumped into teaching. It was pretty awesome in class with Brother Tanner. We were asked a few days prior to prepare a lesson as a class to teach Brother Tanner. Following the Spirit is definitely coming easier, but it is still scary to put all of your faith in The Lord so he can help us know what to say and speak to the needs of the person we are teaching. As we started we were asking him questions about his life, so we could zone in on what he was struggling with. Eventually we found out that he is getting pretty nervous about pursuing a career to support the family he will eventually establish with his wife. People were sharing scriptures and such about trusting in our Heavenly Father. Up to this point 20 minutes had passed and I had not felt prompted to share or contribute anything. I have learned that when I am being prompted by the Spirit, my heart beat increases a least a million percent. I feel a sort of warm sensation in my chest and the butterflies start to flutter in my stomach. Out of nowhere my heart starting picking up its pace. The thought to talk about my family and my parent’s example, came to mind. I opened my mouth and told Brother Tanner something to the effect of, "I can imagine my father was in a similar position when he was in college and newly married with three kids." I explained the age difference between Derek, Alise, and me. Everyone is always amazed every time they hear my parents survived that haha. Anyway, I went on to share that as I have watched my parents through the years, I have learned that as we fully trust in our Father in Heaven we are blessed. The example of my parents growing together in the gospel of Jesus Christ, is one I want to follow. Brother Tanner's eyes turned a little red as they started to glaze over. I don't know if I said anything of value to him, but I could definitely tell that the Spirit was speaking to him pretty strongly. Awesome experience!

EASTER SUNDAY!! There was a lot of hype and rumors about what General Authority would be coming to speak with us for our Easter Sacrament meeting. In preparation, my district arrived to wait in line 2.5 hours early. (We had to be sitting in our classroom anyway so we weren't that crazy for waiting that long for good seats). As it turns out Thomas S. Monson was not in the building. Instead we had the opportunity to hear from Valerie and Bishop Gerald Causse. Before the speakers though we were able to witness the sacrament to be passed to the whole MTC. 3,000+ people. There were at least 6 tables (not including the overflow) being used to bless the bread and water; eight Elders were at each table passing with 4 Elders blessing. I was amazed that it only took about 10 minutes each to pass to everyone. Pretty amazing experience.

As for the speakers, I walked away with a lot of notes. To sum it up they both spoke on the Atonement. That is fitting because that is the reason we celebrate Easter. I am very grateful that of all the holidays, I was here in the MTC on Easter, to celebrate Christ's sacrifice and resurrection. I love the atonement. One things that really sticks out to me as I review my notes is, "love is a motivation for all things." God and Jesus Christ loved us all SO MUCH that God sent his son, Jesus Christ to atone for our sins. Jesus Christ suffered and died on the cross because he loved us and wanted to help prepare a way for us to return to live with our Heavenly Father again. I know that my motivation to help and serve the people of Korea will be driven by love. I know that I will be able to feel this love, because I am reminded daily of the love my Heavenly Father has for me and if I can see an ounce of that for his children in Korea, I know my purpose will be fulfilled. I love this gospel.

After sacrament meeting we were able to have a district meeting, interviews with our Branch President, President Yost, then a temple walk. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that I was able to see some of my family on Easter Sunday. I was walking with my companion, Sister Stradling and I stopped talking mid-sentence. She turned to me probably confused as to why I stopped talking. I squinted my eyes, looked into the distance, and said, "Is that my mother?" Before she had time to say anything I literally dropped everything I was carrying in my arms into hers as I asked, "can you hold this?" I hardly gave her a choice as I started running towards my mommy. The second I hugged her I felt my eyes tearing up. I am so happy and excited to be able to hug my mom again. As I tried to compose myself, I asked her a few times why she was in Utah. I didn't really care, I was just glad she was haha. We found Derek and Andrew soon after and we took a nice walk around the temple. I am so grateful I was able to see and introduce some of my family to my district. One Sister commented, "some people get letters, some packages, but you have a family that comes and visits!" I know, I know, I have the best family :)

Next was dinner then another devotional from Sheri Dew. I am short on time so I will include what I learned from her in a letter I will write today. She is awesome!!

Monday. In the morning we had service. Sister Stradling and I were assigned to mop and dry 5 flights of stairs in the building, 18M. As we did there were a lot of teachers and missionaries walking all over the wet stairs. Most people felt so bad and apologized for walking through our moping job. In response I would say, "well, I hope you fall........ APRIL FOOLS" hahaha not many people thought that was funny but I laughed every time :) It's fine, I know you are all aware of my dry sense of humor. After service we had gym time! Love it. My zone and district leaders always join and let me beat them up. I'm not that great, but I love working out with them because they push me and I always finish first haha. 1Cor 9:24 "Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain".

Now today is P-day and all of my laundry is done! I feel so productive since it's only 8:30ish
Keep the letters coming! I love hearing from all of you!

xo,

Sister Sloan

Per your request I will give you a list of my struggles.
   Having patience with my companion and different teaching styles. Moses 7:18 talks about Zion. I am trying to be of one heart and mind as I learn to have and teach with different people.
   Retention of vocabulary and grammar forms. We have hardly touched the surface of things to learn with the language yet it is so overwhelming what we have learned.
   I smashed my right index finger in gym the other day. I was helping spot my zone leader with a bench press using dumbbells, when I went to set it down on the ground I was not as close as I thought and my finger was caught under a 50lb weight. That hurt and my nail in black and blue. I am fine though.

Thank yous:
THANK YOU FOR THE PACKAGE! All of the candy is gone. The Nutella is close to being gone too... I know you are all shocked.



No comments:

Post a Comment