Monday wasn't PDAY so instead of enjoying relaxing day, we filled our time with a lot of traveling. Today, I was scheduled to receive my blood test results. After talking things over with the specialist and area-missionary doctor, all is well. A few of my blood levels are high, but they said it isn't anything to worry about. Phew! I do have to check up on it in a few months, but for now all is well.
Most of the day was over after that, we ended up talking to a bunch of people on the way though. For the evening we went looking for less-active members again. Since our bus cards are close to empty, we decided to walk. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we met this lady, 손명숙S (Mrs. Sohn). She was so lovely! Her house happened to be in the same complex that we were searching for. It made is easier to just follow and have a nice conversation with her. I thought it was a golden opportunity to try out the new street lesson standard too. At the end of our 30 minute walk together it ended up failing, but I did receive her number and a, "Maybe call me in three months" haha. Baby steps right?
Tuesday was a typical day. All day was dedicated to finding our beloved less-actives. No one happened to be home, but I am getting really good at my door approach and leaving notes. I hope one day these members understand how much we miss and search for them... The end of the day was English class. Because my companion and I clash so much in teaching style, I've asked her to take over teaching the class. Of course I'll be there to help her, but hopefully this will help us have less contention.
I really hate living like this. I came to serve The Lord and I feel like I'm not even worthy of the spirit, because there is no common ground between us. I really am trying to understand her but a good day for me is bad day for her and vice versa. Ugh this week I received my release date and I am SOO ready to start working at full speed!! All I need is a companion that will be on board.... I miss 윤현미 자매님 (Sister Yoon).
Wednesday was scheduled to be a pretty busy day, I was excited. We met up with the district for lunch at a tiny Korean restaurant. We ordered four kinds of soup to share- so delicious!! 김지찌개 (Kimchee soup) and 된장찌개 (it means bean-paste soup- very tradition dish) were my favorites. Almost every restaurant that I go to they always warn me of the spiciness, but what they don't realize is I can handle it haha. In response I always tell them that I am Korean- they laugh every time. After lunch was district meeting. Elder Breckwoldt really loves mormon.org so he always shows videos that he finds on there. Today we watched The Patterns of Light by David A. Bednar. He trained about having the light of Christ and how to invite the spirit more powerfully as we teach and testify. He is a good teacher, it was awesome.
During the meeting, I had to step out because a member, who we had an appointment with, needed to reschedule. So after the meeting, we spent time talking to people on the street until our meal appointment. Sister Tovar actually scheduled this and when we arrived it wasn't meant to be a meal appointment- awkward! Instead Sister Tovar practiced teaching the family a principle she is preparing to passoff. Eventually the family felt bad and just ordered pizza. It was good, but I really am not a fan of cheese nowadays. Koreans are pretty creative when it comes to pizza so there was the normal cheese on top, scoops of cream cheese dabbled all over, cheese sauce squirted on the top, and a cheese-filled crust. I felt nauseous after a couple pieces. Lucky Sister Tovar is more like a vacuum when it comes to that kind of food so I didn't have to force down anymore to show my appreciation. After we left, our next appointment fell through. We ended up riding a series of busses on our way home. Ended not so busy after all, bummer.
Thursday was TEMPLE DAY! As such we had to wake up early to make it to the temple by 8:30AM. The session was awesome! I love the spirit and power of prayer!! I am so grateful for the opportunity to attend the temple once a transfer. I think The Lord knew I would need extra help on my mission so He made sure I was near a temple. Seriously, among the craziness of the city and the world in general, NOTHING beats the peace you feel when you are in a House of The Lord!
After the temple, the missionaries gathered in the parking lot where Sister Morrise was handing out mail!! FINALLY my Christmas package from my family arrived! It was mailed by my Mom December 8th. It's January 16th today. Argh!! For the last few weeks I have really been getting depressed about still not having anything from home, but today I opened that sucker as fast as I could. I hardly cared what was inside, I was just SO excited to hold anything that had come from my amazing family. I miss them a lot! That statement doesn't do it justice for how much I miss them, but I hope they know when I say a lot, I mean A LOT! Anyway, next was lunch. Like every other temple trip I was fasting so I didn't partake in their delicious Shabu-Shabu meal. Instead, I read and reread the Christmas letter from my family. Gosh I love them.
The sisters from the zone were planning to go shopping in Gangnam after lunch, so we followed. After a 30 minute subway trip, I was disappointed. Only five minutes in, I was bored haha. Sister Tovar was too, so we left. On our way back I wasn't that excited to ride a series of subways home but somewhere I found it in me to smile. Once I got us off the first line, an old-Korean grandpa was walking next to me so I said hello. He said "hi" back and it was the beginning of an awesome conversation. We walked and talked and happened to be waiting for the same subway. Because I was carrying a package he told me to take a seat on a nearby bench. It is Korean culture to always do what someone older than you say- so I resisted at first, but eventually obeyed. As I sat a few of the grandmas around me joined our conversation as we informed this old man all about the Book of Mormon. Seriously it was an amazing conversation! Soon the grandmas left and it was just us again. When I stood up for the approaching subway, this man pulled out a pen and wrote his name (김춘식) and number on the box I was holding. I asked him if this week he would have time to learn more about our gospel, he said, "Yes! I have time Saturday and Sunday." I then invited him to church on Sunday at 2PM! Once we boarded the subway, I quickly called the elders to receive the church address. As soon as I received it, I forwarded it to him, he committed to come and he politely said, "Okay, thank you. I have to get off now." And off he went just in time for the subway-doors to close behind him. Talk about perfect timing and a major blessing! It was so AWESOME!
The rest of the day we did PDAY stuff- I got a much needed haircut, we picked up some food for the house, and went home to relax for a few minutes. After the day ended, I reopened my Christmas package again and tried on every pair of under armor leggings and shirts, a beautiful new bracelet, and some sweet down-feather-moon boots from my pa. My companion was a little confused as to what they were but I know she was just jealous. I always made fun of my father when he wore his blue pair around the house, but NOW I understand why they are so awesome!
Unfortunately my happiness was interrupted by some contention with my companion. I'll be short and say it was not a fun night. She opened cans on cans of worms of issues she had with me and our relationship. Anyway, it was after midnight when we finally stopped and decided to be done. People always warned me that missionary life has ups and downs- sometimes it changes very quickly even. Tonight was probably the most dramatic that I've had. It was hard. I miss being home.
Friday started the way yesterday ended. We had a lesson with three potential investigators to prepare for and we did NOT have the spirit. I was so stressed! Luckily the family lived closer than we thought so Sister Tovar and I had about 30 minutes to walk around, talk to people, and get over ourselves. By the time we arrived to the appointment we were both in better moods. We were quickly ushered in my the parents to greet there 23 year old son 김지원B (Brother Kim), his long-time friend 김지은S (Sister Kim-23), and her boyfriend 채두원B (Brother Chay-25).
Quick side note: December 28, 2013 was the day we initially met 김은희S (Sister Kim), the mother, on the street as Sister Tovar and I waited for a bus to visit 신숙희S (Sister Shin). It was an awesome street conversation and look what it has turned into?! Three amazingly brilliant, receptive, willing to learn, and not to mention good-looking people.
I feel so blessed. Not only are they regular students at English class now, but also our three newest investigators! The lesson went really well. The spirit was definitely present. When we finished, we were on our way out until the mother stopped us to ask if we had had lunch yet. By that time it was 1:30PM and I was about ready to run home because I was so hungry. I barely had time to answer before she made a decision and informed us that we would be coming to lunch with her family and her son's friends. She wasted no time linking her arms in mine and my companion's as we walked a few blocks to eat together. It was a hilarious meal. This Korean family gets sarcasm! It is rare that Korean find me funny but today it was so much fun. I love them all so much!!! God is really blessing us. I hardly feel worthy of it but I am SO grateful!
When we got home, we were scheduled to have weekly planning. Once we began it all went down hill. The difference of opinion was taken personally and turned into bickering which evolved to fighting about the core of our companion issues... So in my personal study I have learned the importance of keeping a record of my life via journal for my future posterity... I am super embarrassed that at the age of 24 (Korean age- 22 international age) I am still bickering and fighting like I am in high school. I swear I've matured at least a little. Anyway it was a bad situation. When things began calming back down, I took a deep breath, said a prayer, and decided that then wasn't the time to continue because we were so far from having the spirit with us to plan. Instead, I thought it would be best to leave the house and talk to people. We both agreed that when we are teaching and talking to people, we forget about ourselves and our companionship differences. So maybe it was selfish for us to take up people's time- but we REALLY needed their help. Long story short, it worked and when we came back for planning we made pretty awesome plans and goals for the week. This companionship is pretty tough but today I feel like God helped open my eyes for how we can make this work- not just endure but really be an effective companionship.
Saturday was a fantastic day! We spent 6 straight hours on the streets traveling to less-active members houses and talking to people on our way. Typically I would dread that long amount of time doing the same thing but I was stoked today. Sister Tovar was in a good mood too so it made for a pleasant day together. We ended talking to almost 40 people! Of course we talked to more but we had almost 40 solid conversations. I was so proud of us. For dinner we had a meal appointment with 안순안S (Sister Ahn) a member from the ward. She is the sweetest old grandma! Her and her husband live above his carpenter shop. Their house is so old and super chilly nowadays. After we ate, Sister Ahn made us all sit on the heated floor-mat in a circle with one blanket covering our laps. It was a little awkward sharing the blanket with elders and two men from the ward but hey, it was warm! And beside we were all cross-legged and not touching so that counts for something ha. All in all, it was a good meal and day as a whole.
Sunday was stressful! In the morning I had to prepare for a talk for me to deliver TODAY at church... What the? I felt prepared and I think I did okay. It was all about missionary work and my personal study in Doctrine and Covenants section 133 and Elder Edward Dube's talking from October 2013 conference. The congregation wasn't a lively bunch but I hope someone listening enjoyed it. If no one else, I was pretty impressed with my Korean.
The rest of church was pretty average. I was disappointed that none of our investigators were able to make it, next week will be better! We did however have a good lesson with 오은숙S (Sister Oh), Taeho's mother. I had ordered a jumbo-size triple combination, which by the way weights more than me I think, which we gave to her. The smile on her face was so gratifying!! She was beside herself with happiness. It's so refreshing to see someone be so excited to read and receive these scriptures. Happy missionary moments. Her son did most of the talking but it went well.
After church, all the greenie missionaries attended Korean class while I went into another room to practice teaching the first lesson to a member. Again, I am blown away how much Korean I can muster up to teach a productive lesson. It was great. When that was finished, Sister Tovar and I went to our bishops house for dinner. It was also an opportunity for Sister Tovar to practice her principles that she is preparing to passoff next week. We also met our goal of having 120 solid conversations with people this week. It feels good to achieve a goal. This week was a productive week!
I hope all is well where all of you are. I love and miss you. Have a great week! Also, by Wednesday I should be done reading the Doctrine and Covenants so if anyone feels so inclined to send a miniature Bible to me... That would be very kind ha. One of my goals before the year ends (and hopefully my mission) I want to have read all of the standards works again. 감사합니다! ^^
Sister Sloan
![]() |
| Language Study. Trying to translate D&C 4. |
![]() |
| Walking the streets of Suwon. |
![]() |
| Most houses are surrounded by ugly walls. I love it with someone makes it beautiful like this. |
![]() |
| Suwon Wall. |
![]() |
| I love the bracelet mom! Love you. |
![]() |
| Selfie with my sweet under armor and moon boots. Dad, I laughed to hard when I unwrapped these. I love them!! |
![]() |
| Dinner at Bishop's house. |
![]() |
| It snowed again. The weather was doing so well for so long. |








No comments:
Post a Comment