Sunday, January 5, 2014

More Challenges with Sister Tovar

12/30/2013-1/5/2014
Monday was quite the morning. First I finally convinced my companion to let me run outside!! 2 miles down today! It was hard running in circles (8 laps around our park equals one mile...) and on snow but it was so fun! I was so happy when I finished until it came time for companionship study. Yesterday at the ward dinner, Sister Tovar was pulled aside by a member to talk about our companionship. Of course we aren't best friends but I was a little annoyed that this member thought it was her business to pry. From a distance as I cleaned up dinner, I saw my companion crying. I gave her time to cool off but this morning I asked what was wrong. Long story short, at first she denied that there were problems and then as I pushed, things came to light. Ugh! What am I doing so wrong?! I really wonder why she has such a hard time talking to me first instead of President Morrise, her friends, or ward members. Anyway, our extra time spent with "companionship inventory" took up the rest of our study time. Not a fun way to start PDAY.

We emailed at our usual PC 방 where we met up with the elders. Together we ate lunch at Pizza School, ew. Next we met a majority of the zone to go to a museum near our church. It was all about the Suwon wall and the king that built it. It was a tiny museum but it was still interesting. Most of our day was gone after that and Sister Tovar still had errands to run. The zone ate dinner together while my companion and I went to get her hair cut, buy groceries for the house, and print pictures. By the end of PDAY we ate dinner and went straight to the church where we met Estee and a few YSA members for FHE. It was a lot of fun. We played telephone charades...totally embarrassing but super hilarious. It was a blast!

Tuesday morning I only had time to run one mile but still the cold air outside really wakes me up! I love it. My personal study was so much more effective because my mind was so alert. I love running. After we studied we had an appointment with our new investigator. We were again meeting at 정인자S (Sister Jeong)'s house where our investigator is the house keeper. Along with Sister Jeong, her daughter-in-law, from the ward, 강인경S (Sister Kang) came. I was pretty stoked for the lesson until we received some news as we arrived. When we walked in the investigator asked us why we came. I replied that he had made an appointment. She then said, "Yes, but remember when I called you?" This is where the misunderstanding took place. Apparently when she called she wasn't trying to reschedule for a different time like I thought, instead she had told me that she didn't care about hearing our message and to never come back. Brutal huh? From her nice tone on the phone I would have never guess that she would have said that. By the time we heard this we were already inside and sitting down talking. It was awkward. Sister Tovar was pretty oblivious to the situation as she continued to try and talk with the member and the daughter-in-laws 2 year old. We eventually nixed the lesson and just shared a spiritual thought and left. I was so disappointed!!

I feel awful because receiving a referral is rare. What is even more rare are member referrals! Sister Tovar and I finally received one but somehow found a way to screw things up. I feel so bad especially because a story from the Bible kept coming to mind- the story about the Widow's Mite. This story illustrates a woman who literally is willing to give everything she has. This poor woman in our ward, Sister Jeong does not leave her home. She is not able to do anything on her own. However she puts that all aside and the missionary. Literally the only person that she interacts with during the day was this investigator who she introduced to us. She had been working hard to prepare this woman but when she brought the missionaries into the picture- we failed. I feel responsible because I know that The Lord places people on our paths with those whom we can teach. And I know for a fact that this woman is far beyond my capability (Korean wise) at this point.

If that wasn't enough rejection for one day, I decided to make some phone calls to a few potential investigators. Yesterday I received three numbers.... The first was a wrong number, the second said she had no time, and the third said (in very rude low form, mind you) that she didn't care to learn anything from me. Sweet. By the end of the day I was feeling a little defeated. However, we still had English class. Five students showed and guess what? They are the happiest people I've interacted all day. I've decided that I want litters and litters of children because they are so unbelievable. Two students in particular ran up to hug me when they arrived. I love them so much! My night was turned around to say the least. To add a cherry on top of this mess-of-a-cake-day when I gave the closing prayer, a few people verbally said, "Wow! That is the best prayer I have every heard from you." #confidenceboost!!

To ring in the new year, Sister Tovar and I quickly got ready for bed in order to had a movie night! Haha... Well... as much as missionaries can. I plugged in our 2x2 inch DVD player,  hooked up speakers that were about three times the size of the DVD player, and we watched a DVD of Mormon Messages. It was a very different experience for New Years Eve but I have to say it was one for the books. We even had our own ball-drop-boom right at midnight just outside our house. By that I mean a bunch of drunk idiots ran down the street screaming haha.

Wednesday, HAPPY NEW YEAR!! This morning I was able to run just under two miles this morning. Last year my father reached his goal of running 500 miles and that motivated me to do he same this year. 1.5 down 498.5 to go haha! After studies was the usual district meeting. Today we listened to an awesome talk by Brad Wilcox called 'His. Grace is Sufficient.' I have listened to it before but it reminded me of a favorite scripture of mine- Doctrine and Covenants 3:10.

"But remember, God is merciful; therefore, repent of that which thou hast done which is contrary to the commandment which I gave you, and thou art still chosen, and art aagain called to the work"

Maybe the repentance process seems too hard or you might feel inadequate to receive forgiveness but I want you to remember that the task ahead of you will never be as powerful as the power that is behind you. Remember that Jesus Christ is your brother. He will always be on your side. Let me repeat, He will always be by your side. It's up to you to let Him in and to let Him help.

When training ended I attempted to pass off the second lesson, The Plan of Salvation. It was pretty bad haha. Luckily time ran out so I will study hard tonight and finish another day. When it was time for dinner, all the missionaries went to 박삼곤B (Brother Park)'s house. Him and his wife are UH-MAZING cooks. 잘머겄습니다!! I ate very well!! The rest of the day was normal missionary work. It was fun.

Thursday was another lame start to the day. One hour of our studies is spent with the 12 week training program. This program requires new missionaries to practice a lot of teaching situation via role play. Today Sister Tovar wasn't really in the mood and it showed. I hate role play too but she had a super bad attitude so I made an executive decision to end early. On our way out of the house we weren't talking. It was rough. As we walked we passed a church that we walk by everyday. Today they were having a fellowshipping activity where they invited everyone in to eat kimchee pancakes. We were treated the same and brought in to socialize and eat. It was fun. When we finished we thanked all the women. Just as we waved our last goodbye I turned around to be attacked by one of my English class students. He gave me the biggest hug. Hugging the opposite sex really isn't allowed for missionaries but this boy is 10 and I love him so much. I hugged him back, had a quick conversation until he ran off to play in the snow. That really brightened my day. Not only me but Sister Tovar was happier too. Thank you Heavenly Father for the series of tender mercies to help me Sister Tovar be happy missionaries today.

We went about our business finding more less-active members and talking to people on the way. Our success was at a minimum but at least we were happy. Before dinner I had another meeting with Elder Breckwoldt to do pass off. Since last time was so bad I started over but we didn't have time to finish again. Even though that was the case I still felt like I did much better teaching even with zero notes. I love Korean!! I am starting to be able to speak a little more freely of what I think. I love it. Elder Breckwoldt even commented on my closing prayer. Like the other night at English class he said, "Wow, Sister Sloan, if you pray all day like that you will be fluent in no time!" 아싸!! After was dinner then English class. It was a good day.

Friday was strange. First we met at the church to create a new English flyer. It took forever! By about 2PM Sister Tovar and I were able to do our weekly planning. We finished quickly and had a glorious nap after dinner. Sleep is so hard to catch up on as a missionary but I have really come to love my cat naps after meals. Once we were out the door, we had a very productive evening. We had an appointment with 서은효S (Summer) again. This time instead of staying to talk we walked in, stood in the door way and asked if she would come with us to do less-active visits. At first she was a little taken back. But with our persistence, she grabbed her coat and we were off.

Summer is an awesome lady! Sister Tovar and I really love her. Lately we have been at a loss of what we can do to show her how much we love her. She is very insecure so it's hard to get it through her head. So tonight Sister Tovar and I thought it would be a good idea to show her how much each member means to us. The members really don't understand how much effort we put forth to find their houses, travel, and prepare an individual spiritual thought for them but when we arrive all we receive in return is rejection. Summer was amazing and so tired after just an hour and a half with us. Over and over she told us that we were angels and that she wanted our mission president's number to tell him how much we need a car and especially a GPS haha.  We ended our evening with red bean-filled fish bread and hot chocolate. It was such a fun night.

Saturday was a boring day. All of our appointments cancelled so Sister Tovar and I did a lot of address confirming with little luck. No one was home and the people whom we spoke with on the street didn't seem to care today. By the end of the day we had a missionary coordination meeting. 이재현B (Brother Lee), our ward mission leader, brought us all McDonalds again. It was decent but if this is a weekly thing.... I don't know how big of a fan I will be. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful but I love Korean food so much more than fatty McDonalds. Anyway, our day ended the same way it began- boring.

Sunday, fast Sunday. It was the best church service I've been to yet! First we met a less-active member 오음숙S (Sister Oh) and her very active YSA son, 정태호B (Brother Jeong) for a short lesson before church. This family joined the church as a result of the father just falling in love with everything about it. After he died of cancer a few years ago Sister Oh and her youngest son became less-active. However, last night I received a very excited phone call from Brother Jeong saying that his mother finally agreed to come back to church, all he needed was our help. We will meet every Sunday before church to teach a little bit of the doctrine so she can come to love this gospel as much as her husband and son do. So great!

Next was sacrament! Three less-active members that we have been visiting showed up today, including Summer! It was an excellent testimony meeting. Most of the missionaries took a few minutes to bear their testimonies. I was the very last to share because as I sat in line people would ask to go first... I am a missionary, I cannot imagine saying no to someone haha. Anyway, it was over time so I was brief. Even under pressure to wrap up quickly I was so surprised how easy the words came. This was a good weekend for my Korean skillz.

The other meetings went well and immediately following relief society, 강윤숙S (Sister Kang) grabbed us and told us we were coming over for dinner. Booyah! Her husband was busy with his stake calling so she asked another member to drive us all to her house. I played rock, paper, scissors with the kids the whole way. I love kids. When we arrived Sister Tovar and I helped set the table. We ate so well!! 잘머겄습니다! Just after our spiritual message and prayer, Sister Kang told us to wait before putting on our coats. She came out from her closet with a number of shirts and skirts for Sister Tovar to try on. Too cute! My poor companion was the opposite of stoked when she was the only one offered clothes. Oh well it is was Sister Kang's way of becoming her friend. It was hilarious translating and withholding some comments to keep Sister Tovar's spirit up. Man I am so impressed how much I understand now a days. I have tried so long to be patient and hope this understand would come, it finally has. I hope I don't get humbled anytime soon because I am really enjoying this.

Hope all is well. All is well here, it was a fantastic week. I love you and miss you!
Sister Sloan
슬론 자매
Everyday Mart. Yum.

I am updating the LDS Tools App this notification came up.  Our church has a sense of humor.  Ha ha So awesome.

This is what happens when you convince your companion to let you run outside on the ice...#itwasworthit

Elder Jeong trying to act like me while trying to try on my coat.

New English Flyer picture. 

Cold winter night walking the streets in Suwon.

Sister Tovar and her not so stoke self with Sister Kang.


No comments:

Post a Comment