Monday was PDAY, but yesterday at church when the relief society was asking for volunteers to participate in their weekly service project not enough people were available. As a service missionary, I rose my hand to volunteer me and Sister Tovar. Sister Tovar was not to happy, but it ended up being really awesome. I've gone before and for two hours we serve food to the needy citizens of the community. Today they asked Sister Tovar and I to be on the floor cleaning and gathering the trays when people were finished eating. It was a lot of fun. I think I was asked over 50 times if I was Russian. I was complimented on my hair and skin maybe over 100 times haha. It was fun. On top of that some members from my old ward showed up to help as well. I love seeing them!! When I saw 이정숙S (Sister Lee) or my Korean mother, she would not stop pulling me in for hugs. It was cool to actually be able to hold more of a conversation with her. I love her. When everything was clean and everyone cleared out, we left with 최연숙S (Sister Choi) who is the member that basically lives next door to us. She wanted to walk home together. She lead the way and took us on the long scenic route. I really enjoyed all of the history and such that she was telling us. But of course Sister Tovar was dragging her feet the whole way. I know she was bummed to be spending her only PDAY doing more missionary work. One day she'll realize that it never stops.
The rest of the day was spent at the church so that she could play board games with the elders. I found a ukulele and played to my little hearts content. Maybe it was annoying for everyone else because I only know "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" haha. Oh well, it was relaxing. Next was YSA FHE. Tonight we went to a meat buffet called "Meating." Cute right? It was interesting. They literally had a buffet of raw meat that you take to your table to cook. I don't know if I'm a huge fan, but at least I tried it. 이상훈B (Hoon) and 정태호B (Taeho) were the only ones to come, but they were a lot of fun.
Tuesday was interesting. Remember that blood test that signaled something was wrong with my liver? Well today was the day I was going back for a followup blood test. I'm still not clear on the meanings but my ALT level raised from 46 to 88. When that level is in the 100's it normally means that the patient has hepatitis... Mine isn't that serious yet, but it is increasing. I don't feel sick or worried so tomorrow I'll receive the specialist's advice of what to do next. That took a majority of the day after traveling to and from the hospital. On our way home we stopped for groceries to make dinner. After eating we had English class. Nothing eventual happened except that someone we met on the street showed up! She not only came but brought her whole family! I talked with them and they want to start the 30/30 program! Blessing! Between talking to them, trying to talk with my students after class, and preparing for the spiritual message was a lot. It was stressful. Everything worked out in the end. It was a good day.
Wednesday was another day spent visiting less-active members. One member, 이은혜S (Sister Lee) was pretty pregnant for a long, long time it seemed. Her belly was HUGE. Just after Christmas she went into labor. She was a month early. Her beautiful baby only lived for two hours. I'm not sure if there were more complications, but her family hasn't been to church since. Today we went to visit. No one was home. We left a note and message card, but I am really worried about them. As for other visits, he didn't have any success. Previously, Sister Tovar passed off with Elder Breckwoldt. Today she taught the lesson of the restoration in English. It took over and hour and a half! What the? Elder Giles and I played ping pong. I bettered my smash so it wasn't all a waste of time. Ha ha Our night ended at 서은효S (Summer's) house. Saturday is her birthday and she leaves for vacation to Sri Lanka on Sunday. Sister Tovar and I brought a small cake, a travel size Book of Mormon, and homemade case for it. She was touched. However she isn't sure that she will take it because she says she is worried about offending the people she visits, because it is a Buddhist country. I really hope she takes it! We bore strong testimony and left her to pack. I felt the spirit pretty strong, I hope she did too.
Thursday was zone training. I organized lunch as usual, it was delicious. The training was awesome. Elder Oh and Pope have some high hopes for the zone. They encouraged us to ask ourselves, "Are we doing enough?" They made a lot of references the scripture Romans 12:1-2 that says,
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.I thought this scripture was interesting but as they continued with the training they told us that our living sacrifice is our works and how we choose to spend our time. It was really motivational. At the end they described the new standards for counting our stats. They seem pretty strict, but I hope they lead to more immediate success. The biggest change was to street lessons. It order for us to count one we will need to have taught at least three gospel principles, received their phone number, and set a return appointment. So much! I'm ready to find those whom The Lord has prepared!
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
After training I practiced teaching Elder Breckwoldt the plan of Salvation. We always get side tract, but it's always a productive, extended language study haha. When I finished, I found Sister Bassett waiting for me. Time for another split! We head home for dinner and then English class. It was so fun being with someone that actually liked me. It was like night and day compared to my current companion. Sister Bassett is so awesome, I love her. English class was crazy! Today I think all of my students ate a whole candy store each. It was game day but gezz it was out of control. Sister Bassett was amazed that I dealt with them twice a week haha. I love them so much though.
Friday went by so quickly. After morning studies, we unsplit, and did weekly planning. It was productive but I didn't like being inside for so long. When we finished it was 5PM! We soon met up with 정영헌E and Elder Robinson for a meal appointment at 임흥직B (Brother Lim) and his wife 김백희S (Sister Kim's) house. It was so delicious!! They fed us pig feet. The members laughed so hard when Sister Tovar looked like she was going to throw up after they told her what she ate. It was hilarious. When it came time for the spiritual thought, the members asked each missionary to share a short message. Even though it was on the spot I am still amazed that I was able to share what I learned in personal study that morning.. IN KOREAN. I'm so grateful for the spirit! My thought was this: This transfer I have been studying and plan to finish reading The Doctrine and Covenants volume of scripture. Today specifically I was impressed by the verse 110:5 which reads,
"Behold, your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice."I found this to be interesting because in this section as well as surrounding section, Joseph Smith and his apostles are receiving visions and guidance from on High of how to carry out The Lord's work. Each time they are visited by God or Jesus Christ, They first state who they are. Then They clarify that those in their presence are clean and free of sin. Of course these men were still imperfect men, but they are; however, doing all they can to be clean and pure before their Maker. We may feel unworthy of such an event, because of the filthiness of our sins but we too can be clean before Him. We can be sure of this when we feel of His spirit and witness miracles that we know are only possible through Him. Sure we aren't perfect but we are trying right? So, "lift up your heads and rejoice."
Spirit was strong throughout each spiritual thought shared. It was awesome, I didn't want to leave. When the missionaries finished both the husband and wife took time to tell us their plans for the year to help active, less-active, and potential members. They are so awesome!!
Saturday was busy. We had several less-actives to visit, but no one was home. We dropped cookies and message cards off at a number of houses. I'm sad that not one person was home today. Bummer! At the end of the day we met all the missionaries for the ward, the bishop, and our ward mission leader at the church for a meeting. I was asked to share my testimony before we began. I did my best. It was all about my personal study that morning in Doctrine and Covenants section 115. This section is instruction of how the saints should build The Lord's temple. The Lord essentially says that if it is done in His instructed order, then He will accept it. Even though this is literally talking about a temple to remembered the comparison often used is that our body's temples too. This morning I pondered if I were to meet my maker today, would He accept my 'temple?' Anyway, the meeting went well and it was nice to have Bishop there to participate and help all the missionaries.
Sunday was an interesting day. On our way to church, Sister Tovar started a conversation with a man and woman walking the same direction as us. I kept the conversation going and the wife thought I was so cute. Her and her husband would not stop saying how beautiful I was haha. The said they wanted us over to their house because we were so charming. So we went. I warned them we only had about 20 minutes, but they didn't care. They ushered us in, prepared a drink that may or may not have been alcoholic (I really have no idea), and called their children downstairs to greet their "new friends" haha. The wife was so concentrated on my name tag and kept asking who we were. I asked Sister Tovar to introduce us and they loved it. I was anticipating to teach the first lesson on the spot but they ended up not having a lot of interest. Soon it was time to head to church and the family walked us out. It was a strange yet rewarding experience.
Once at church, the meetings were fine. Our investigator 신숙희S (Sister Shin) didn't show up even though she promised to come. I was really disappointed. By relief society I had prepared a sheet for women to sign up for Sister Tovar to practice teaching 20 minutes lessons. Five people signed up!! I was shocked! So excited! Immediately after we left with 이자영S (Sister Lee) to eat dinner together at her house. It was the best! Sister Lee is so thoughtful because she made Mexican tacos just for my little Mexican companion and me. haha. It was delicious and it was a lot of fun talking with her. She is such a strong woman! This last year she lost her father and has had some traumatic experiences with trying to get pregnant. Through it all she is the happiest and most giving person! She told us that she needs help being patient and submitting to God's will. However, I can for sure learn something from her in that regard before I will ever be able to teach or help ha. It was a great night with her. I was bummed that tonight Sister Tovar and I didn't reach our conversation goal for the week but hopefully next week will be better. Overall, today was well spent.
This week had its ups and downs. I'm really struggling to love and appreciate my companion, pray for me! Despite that, I am really loving the ward I am in. These members are awesome!! I love them and I love you all. Thank you for all of your support. Have a fantastic week~
Sister Sloan
슬론 자매
![]() |
| After serving lunch to some elderly people, I had a reunion with members from my first ward. I love them so much. |
![]() |
| My crazy English Students. I love them too! |


Great mission report. We are impressed with how much she loves the Korean people. This means she will be a successful missionary. KC
ReplyDelete